Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrestMay 27th, 2011 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 27 (IANS) Hardline senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, were placed under house arrest by the authorities Friday to maintain law and order in Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Srinagar, police said.
While Geelani was not allowed to move out of his uptown Hyderpora residence, restrictions were also placed on the movements of Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, who was restricted to his uptown Nigeen residence by the authorities.
“Nobody will be allowed to disrupt peace in the city. There have always been incidents of breach of peace by stone pelting protests each time Geelani addressed them and tried to stir passions here”, a senior police officer said.
Geelani had announced he would offer Friday prayers at the Hazratbal shrine, while the Mirwaiz was scheduled to visit the Eidgah martyrs’ graveyard in old city Friday.
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- Geelani demands release of prisoners before Eid - Aug 19, 2011
- Srinagar shuts down to commemorate separatist leader's death - May 21, 2010
- No quiet dialogue on between India, separatists: Mirwaiz (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: ali, authorities, breach of peace, farooq, graveyard, house arrest, hurriyat, jammu, kashmir, law and order, martyrs, passions, peace in the city, police officer, prayers, protests, separatist leader, umer