Geelani demands release of prisoners before EidAugust 19th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 19 (IANS) Hardline Kashmiri separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani Friday threatened another stir if the arrested political prisoners and youth were not released by the government before Eid.
Geelani, who was placed under house arrest by the police following his decision to lead a march to the martyrs’ graveyard in old city Eidgah area after the Friday prayers, addressed a media conference at his uptown Hyderpora residence in the evening.
“The government must be ready to face another stir if arrested political prisoners and youth are not released before Eid,” Geelani warned.
Geelani sought the support of local traders and businessman to make his proposed agitational programme a success.
Geelani and two other separatist leaders, Shabir Shah, chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, and Nayeem Khan, chief of the National Front, were placed under house arrest by the police in summer capital Srinagar Friday to maintain law and order.
The Valley has been witnessing a peaceful summer this year after two consecutive years of summer unrest during 2009 and 2010.
In last year’s summer violence, 116 people had died in bloody clashes between the security forces and unruly mobs resorting to massive violence and arson across the Valley.
Kashmir also went through an unprecedented period of protest shutdowns and bandhs in 2010 that virtually paralyzed the local economy and adversely affected the education of children.
Faced with the growing economic and educational crisis, Geelani had withdrawn his agitational programme in 2010 asking people to resume normal activities.
The state government had blamed the separatists for hostaging both the local economy and the education of students by calling for continued protests and shutdowns here during 2009 and 2010.
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Kashmiri separatist leaders placed under house arrest - Aug 20, 2012
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- Geelani threatens to intensify Kashmir agitation - Nov 20, 2010
- Geelani arrested from Srinagar residence - Sep 08, 2010
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Kashmir shuts to protest anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Geelani's shutdown call hits life in Srinagar - Jun 11, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Geelani seeks Afzal Guru's release before dialogue (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: arson, bloody clashes, democratic freedom, educational crisis, eid, freedom party, graveyard, house arrest, law and order, local traders, martyrs, mobs, political prisoners, security forces, separatist leader, separatist leaders, separatists, shutdowns, srinagar, unprecedented period