Geelani calls for vacation of land by armyOctober 19th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 19 (IANS) Syed Ali Geelani, hardline separatist leader and chairman of the breakaway Hurriyat group, Monday announced a protest against the “occupation of land” by the army in Jammu and Kashmir.
Addressing a press conference here, Geelani said: “I shall be announcing a detailed protest programme against the occupation of land by the Indian Army in Kashmir on Oct 23 at Shopian town.
“This strategy is followed by India on the lines of Israel’s occupation of lands in Palestine and we have decided to protest it,” he said.
He did not detail his charges.
Geelani repeatedly avoided answering questions regarding the proposed dialogue between the Kashmiri separatist leaders and the central government.
Interestingly, fearing arrest by police, Geelani arrived at the venue of press conference in an autorikshaw. Police arrested four of his slogan-shouting supporters outside the hotel where the leader addressed the media.
Meanwhile, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, the chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, said he would be taking up the issue of the detention of two Kashmiri cricket players in Bangalore during his expected talks with the central government.
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- Separatists push Pakistan on Kashmir, divided on dialogue (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Geelani for boycott of Kashmir interlocutors - Oct 25, 2010
- Boycott interlocutors, Geelani tells Kashmiris (Lead) - Oct 25, 2010
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Kashmir participation must in India-Pakistan dialogue: Geelani - Jul 26, 2011
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- 'Kashmiri separatists not taking part in assembly polls' - May 03, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- EU delegation meets Kashmiri separatist leaders - Apr 19, 2010
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011