Gazza to spend Xmas in rehabDecember 10th, 2008 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec.10 (ANI): Former England football star Paul Gazza Gascoigne is to spend Christmas in rehab in a desperate new bid to beat his booze addiction.
According to the Daily Star, Gazza has checked into the Priory clinic for a six-week detox program.
Unlike previous Christmases when he has dressed up as Santa or worn other comic outfits, Gazza, 41, will be aiming to stay off the drink until the New Year.
He has been told that he can see relatives on Christmas Day if he chooses, but not if he is tempted to fall off the wagon.
The football legend decided to seek help after splitting from new love Sally Mulholland, 44, and making up with his family, who disowned him over his self-destructive drinking.
He has managed to save himself from bankruptcy by selling two properties he owned in Spain and Bulgaria to raise 200,000 pounds to pay off tax debts.
Last month a judge gave him nine weeks to find the cash or go bust. But Gazza, who made 14 million pounds during his career, raised enough to clear his debts and fund his return to rehab.
A family pal told the Daily Star: Paul has finally realised he needs help and is determined to get it.
A previous rehab stint six months ago ended with the former footballer going back on the booze during a tour of Europe with heavy metal rockers Iron Maiden.
After falling for mum-of-three Sally on a booze bender in Portugal, where she is a portrait photographer, he sobered up and asked her to marry him.
When she said it was too soon he caught a plane back to Britain and hit the bottle again. But Sally got in touch with him and convinced him that she may change her mind if he can beat the booze.
He checked into the clinic in Roehampton, Surrey, last week. (ANI)
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Ronnie Wood enters rehab - 8th time - Jan 30, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gascoigne back in Priory - Aug 27, 2008
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza wants to change his name to 'Gassa' - Aug 29, 2012
- Love struck Gazza to shift base to Portugal - Sep 30, 2008
- Rehab clinic asks media to stop "harassing" Gazza - Nov 21, 2010
- Tyson can help Gazza beat addiction, says ex-lover - May 30, 2008
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: bender, booze, christmas day, christmases, daily star, england football, football legend, football star, footballer, gascoigne, iron maiden, mulholland, nine weeks, portrait photographer, priory clinic, rehab stint, rockers, roehampton, tax debts, tour of europe