Gaza aggression repetition of Lebanon war: Hezbollah leaderDecember 29th, 2008 - 10:30 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, Dec 29 (DPA) The chief of the Lebanese Shia Movement has compared the ongoing Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip to the July 2006 war which Israel launched against his movement.”This is a repeated scenario of the July war on Hezbollah … but, with steadfastness, they (Palestinians) can achieve the awaited victory,” Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah told thousands of his followers in Beirut’s southern suburbs Sunday.
On July 12, 2006, Israel launched a 33-day war on Lebanon. The move came after Hezbollah snatched two Israeli soldiers in an attack near the Lebanese-Israeli border.
The conflict killed 1,200 people, mostly Lebanese civilians, and severely damaged Lebanon’s civil infrastructure. It displaced approximately one million Lebanese and over 300,000 Israelis. On the Israeli side, some 190 people were killed, mostly soldiers.
Nasrallah predicted that “Gaza would emerge victorious as Hezbollah had emerged victorious as in Lebanon in 2006″.
“The Americans and Zionists wants to impose their conditions on the Palestinians, the Lebanese and Syria,” Nasrallah said.
“The US-Israeli agenda aims at creating a humiliating settlement to the Arabs,” Nasrallah said.
The comments came on the first day of Ashoura, a Shia commemoration of the martyrdom of Husayn bin Ali, the grandson of the Islamic prophet Muhammad at the Battle of Karbala on 10 Muharram in the year 61 A.H. (Oct 10, 680 A.D.).
He charged that some Arab regimes are partners to the American-Zionist agenda.
“Some Arab countries had signed peace with Israel are partners to the scheme,” Nasrallah said, adding that some Arab countries want to finish off Hamas, as Israel attempted to destroy Hezbollah in 2006.
He called on “all the Arab people to go to the streets, even if they are shot at, to pressure their governments to end the bloodshed in Gaza”.
“Today the Egyptian stance should be the corner stone in the Gaza conflict … they (the Egyptians) should open their borders to allow the food and medical supplies and even arms to the people of Gaza.”
He urged Egyptians not to pressure Hamas to accept peace agreements. “If they do so; they will be a partner in the crimes committed against the people of Gaza,” Nasrallah said as the crowd chanted “God bless Nasrallah”.
Nasrallah called on Gaza to remain steadfast because “this enemy (Israel) cannot last in a long-lasting battle.”
He also said those who call for peace with Israel “have achieved nothing but defeats and massacres.”
“The resistance is the only way to return our land and rights,” he said.
Nasrallah called for a mass rally in support of Gaza at 3 p.m. Monday in south Beirut.
Calling for caution regarding possible Israeli attacks against Lebanon, he said: “We are ready to confront any aggression on our country and our land.”
Referring to rockets which were found in southern Lebanon last Thursday directed towards the Israeli northern settlements, Nasrallah said: “Israel and its agents might be behind deploying the rockets in Naqoura area.”
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Hezbollah chief describes Israel as 'state of terror' - Jun 05, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Nasrallah vows to defeat Israel if a new war erupts - Jan 16, 2010
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Hezbollah congratulates Egyptian people - Feb 12, 2011
- Hezbollah threatens to strike Israeli ships - May 26, 2010
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010