Gauge conversion of Ratlam-Mhow-Khandwa-Akola railway line approvedJanuary 17th, 2008 - 5:36 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Jan 17 (ANI): The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs today gave its approval for gauge conversion of Ratlam-Mhow-Khandwa-Akola (472.64 km).
The cost of the gauge conversion would be about Rs.1421.25 crore.
There existed a meter gauge North South Link between Jaipur and Secunderabad covering 1469 kms.
The line connected major townships like Jaipur, Ajmer and Chhitaurgarh in Rajasthan, Ratlam, Indore, Mhow and Khandwa in Madhya Pradesh, Akola, Purna and Mudkhed in Maharashtra and Manoharbad and Secunderabad in Andhra Pradesh.
Out of 1469 kms on this route, 805 kms from Jaipur to Ratlam and Secunderabad to Purna have already been converted to BG.
The work on Akola Purna section covering 210 kms is targeted for completion by March 2008. Thus section from Ratlam to Akola covering about 454 kms is approved for gauge conversion.
Ratlam-Akola conversion will restore shorter alternative North South route link connecting Secunderabad, Chennai with Jaipur, Ajmer, Ratlam, Indore, Khandwa, Akola and other towns in North West Rajasthan.
The route will provide broad gauge connectivity for carrying food grains / oil cakes, cement from Nimach / Chittaurgarh area and various products from Pithampur Special Economic Zones near Mhow to Southern States.
It will also facilitate movement of military personnel and equipment’s from Mhow containment.
Work is likely to be completed in a period of five years. (ANI)
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Maharashtra gets large share of Mamata's largesse - Feb 24, 2010
- Mamata gives several projects to Maharashtra - Feb 24, 2010
- Reservation issue: 'Protest will spread in the whole country', says Gujjar leader - Dec 27, 2010
- Kingfisher to launch new flights (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- No increase in passenger fairs: Mamata - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Northeast's connectivity issue to be dealt with' - Jun 20, 2012
- Rajasthan ATS files 806-page chargesheet in 2007 Ajmer blast case - Oct 23, 2010
- Delhi security to be beefed up for Zardari visit - Apr 04, 2012
- 2,000 cops deployed for Zardari's Delhi visit - Apr 06, 2012
- One more held for Ajmer blast - Nov 03, 2010
- CBI-ATS team explores Abhinav Bharat's role in Ajmer blast - Oct 23, 2009
- Gujjars call for Ajmer shutdown - Dec 27, 2010
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Here Ravana worshipped on Dussehra! - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: ajmer, broad gauge, cabinet committee, cement, chennai, containment, economic affairs, economic zones, food grains, gauge conversion, jaipur, maharashtra, meter gauge, mhow, military personnel, New Delhi, purna, railway line, southern states, townships