Gas cylinder explosion in Pune injures 24 persons, mostly childrenJanuary 26th, 2010 - 10:32 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, Jan.26 (ANI): At least 22 children and two adults were injured when a gas cylinder, used to fill balloons, exploded here on Tuesday.
The incident occurred in the densely populated neighbourhood of Kothrud in the city where the roadside hawker was selling the air balloons.
Initially, the explosion of the cylinder frightened many locals since there were reports that terrorists could disturb the R-Day festivities and create panic among general public.
“The balloon seller had come to sell balloons out here. He was mixing something when the incident took place. Around 20 to 22 children and two adults have been injured. Since it is holiday today so all the kids were playing outside. No one is critical and we are inquiring which chemicals were used in the cylinder,” said Chandrakant Dhodka, Police inspector with Kothrud Police Station.
The injured were rushed to a city hospital where they are being treated.
“The balloon seller had come and he was filling the balloons with gas. He went near an electric lamp pole and suddenly the cylinder exploded,” recalled Ali Mohammad Sheikh, an injured boy.
Police are investigating the incident. (ANI)
- Five injured as cylinder bursts in Madhya Pradesh's fair - Jan 03, 2011
- Explosion in illicit gas cylinders warehouse in Maharashtra - Jan 17, 2012
- One killed as cylinder explodes at BSP function - Jan 15, 2011
- Mother, children killed in fire - Oct 22, 2011
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Injured tourist succumbs, death toll is four - Aug 01, 2012
- Four of a family charred in Delhi gas cylinder blast - Apr 08, 2012
- Five killed as gas cylinder explodes - Aug 08, 2010
- Four kids injured in gas cylinder blast - Jun 14, 2011
- Two tourists killed in gas cylinder blast, not grenade: Police (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Seven injured in cylinder blasts in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2011
- 55 injured in Russia blast - Jun 26, 2011
- Five killed in ammonia gas cylinder explosion - Nov 14, 2011
- Seven injured in cylinder blast - Mar 04, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills five Iraqi soldiers - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: adults, ali mohammad, balloon, balloons, chemicals, cylinder explosion, electric lamp, festivities, gas cylinder, hawker, lamp pole, locals, neighbourhood, police inspector, police station, terrorists