Gantries reach Kochi port after three-week waitJuly 16th, 2010 - 7:48 pm ICT by ANI
Kochi, Jul 16 (ANI): Four giant gantries onboard a Chinese vessel ‘Zhenhua 10′ anchored at Kochi on Friday after a three-week-long wait.
The ‘Zhenhua 10′ was due to dock at Vallarpadam Terminal but as the area lacked sufficient depth for the ship to drop anchor, it was finally diverted after three weeks to Kochi.
Dredging operations that were underway at Vallarpadam had stopped earlier due to the discovery of a hard chunk of land in the basin, causing the ship to be diverted. However, it will be moved back to the terminal once the dredging is completed.
“As far as the dredging activities are concerned, the channel dredging, the channel is itself about 12.5 kilometers, so that channel dredging has already been done. It is only the basin dredging that is required.
“Basin dredging, about half of the work has been done, but still deepening is required to enable the mother vessels to come inside. We believe it might take another few weeks to complete this,” said N. Ramachandran, the Chairman of Cochin Port Trust
An area of at least five million cubic meters needs to be dredged out of the Vallarpadam basin for ships like the ‘Zhenhua 10′ to dock at the port.
The four Post Panamax quay cranes are capable of lifting two 20-foot containers and are meant for India’s much-awaited first dedicated International Container Transshipment Terminal (ICTT).
The ICTT, which includes a 600-metre-long quay and a 40-hectare yard, is India’s first trans-shipment terminal, in partnership with DP World and the Cochin Port Trust. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- Vallarpadam ICTT to be commissioned in August - May 25, 2010
- PM to open container terminal in Kerala - Feb 06, 2011
- Rs.750 crore sanctioned for ship repair unit in Kerala - Sep 14, 2012
- Kochi now connected to Europe by ship - Nov 14, 2011
- PM inaugurates mega transhipment terminal in Kerala - Feb 11, 2011
- Dubai World's default won't hit us: Kochi port chief - Nov 27, 2009
- DP World seeks close trade ties with India - Oct 14, 2011
- Vallarpadam container terminal to be commissioned in 2010's first quarter - Oct 10, 2009
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- Container ship sinking in Hooghly after collision - Nov 23, 2010
- India's longest railway bridge nearing completion at Kochi - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: 5 kilometers, anchor, chinese vessel, chunk, cochin port trust, cranes, cubic meters, discovery, foot containers, hectare, India, international container, partnership, ramachandran, ships, trans shipment, transshipment