Fresh violence in Singur over farmland acquisitionNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:32 am ICT by admin
Accusing the government of illegally acquiring the land through excessive force, the farmers said they wanted to offer prayers at their lands on the occasion of mahaashtami at the ongoing Navaratra festival.
The farmers said they were working peacefully on the land surrounding the Tata factory and police instigated them by charging at them with batons.
“Today was ashtami so we came here to offer prayers. But the police harassed us. In the police offensive, my daughter was hit on the head while I was hurt on legs”, said Prashant Kumar Singha, a local farmer.
Tata Motors started work on its factory in Singur earlier this year on what is touted as the world’s cheapest car for 100,000 rupees.
But the project, which has become a test case for the ruling Communists party in West Bengal, has been mired in controversy with some farmers declaring that the government took their land against their will.
There have been regular protests in West Bengal this year over the acquisition of agriculture land for industry. (ANI)
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Tata moves Supreme Court on Singur land - Jun 28, 2011
- Tata compliments Mamata, she says thanks - Dec 15, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Economists divided over Singur judgment - Sep 29, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Tata Motors to move Supreme Court on Singur land - Jun 28, 2011
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Singur land bill full of flaws, says CPI-M - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: accusing, acquisition, agriculture land, batons, communists, excessive force, farmers, farmland, illegally, peacefully, prashant kumar, prayers, rupees, singha, singur, started work, tata motors, test case, west bengal