Fresh 10-year RI sentenced to ShahabuddinSeptember 26th, 2008 - 10:50 pm ICT by ANI
Siwan (Bihar), Sept 26 (ANI): A special court on Friday sentenced jailed Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Mohammad Shahabuddin to 10 years” rigorous imprisonment (RI) in a case related to recovery of a sophisticated weapon and ammunitions from his native house at Pratappur village in the District in 2005.
Police had also leveled sedition charges against the MP in the FIR pertaining to this case. But due to lack of evidence the court acquitted him.
The court acquitted the Siwan MP in another case related to alleged assault on Ander Police Station officer-in-charge (OC) Sandesh Baitha.
Besides the ten-year RI, the special court of Additional District Judge G Srivastava also awarded three-year RI to him under different Indian Penal Code (IPC) Sections applied in the case. It also slapped a fine of Rs 15,000 on him, prosecution counsel R B Mahato said and added both the sentences would run concurrently.
According to the prosecution, a police team on April 24, 2005 raided the MP’’s house and recovered a German made pistol and 200 contraband cartridges under his bed.
However, Shahabuddin’’s lawyer AK Rajan argued in the court that Shahabuddin was not present in Siwan during the period as the district administration had externed him from the district.
This was the sixth case in which Shahabuddin, currently lodged in the Siwan jail, has been convicted so far.
Earlier, Shahabuddin was awarded three-year jail term in a case of attack on the local Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) office and life term in another case of kidnapping of CPI-ML activist Chhote Lal Gupta.
Shahabuddin has been awarded ten-year RI for making a murderous attack on the then Siwan Suprintendent of Police S K Singhal and another one-year imprisonment for threatening Zeeradei police station officer in charge.
The MP has also been given three-year jail term in a case pertaining to recovery of stolen vehicles from his Pratappur house. (ANI)
- Rs 13,000 seized from RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Mar 13, 2009
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Mobile phones seized from former RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Mobile phones seized from former MP in jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Ex-MP Shahabuddin's aide arrested - Oct 09, 2011
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Court awards five-year jail to Kashmiri militant - May 17, 2012
- Shahabuddin gets another 10-year term in jail - Sep 26, 2008
- Two get life term for murder of Meerut university professor - Sep 23, 2011
- Shahabuddin gets bail in arms act case - Aug 06, 2008
- Maoists blast JMM MP's house - May 11, 2011
- Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: alleged assault, ammunitions, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, district administration, district judge, indian penal code, jail term, lal, marxist leninist, murderous attack, police team, prosecution counsel, rajan, rigorous imprisonment, sedition charges, singhal, siwan, sophisticated weapon, srivastava