Fran Drescher to be named public diplomacy envoy for USSeptember 6th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Sept 6 (ANI): American actress Fran Drescher will be the latest celebrity to be named public diplomacy envoy by Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs Goli Ameri.
Drescher, who acted in the hit comedy The Nanny, joins baseball legend Cal Ripken Jr and US figure-skating superstar Michelle Kwan as envoys who help polish Washington’’s image abroad.
The actress is a Golden Globe and Emmy nominee, cancer survivor and founder of non-profit organisation the Cancer Schmancer Movement, the State Department recalled in a statement.
“She will support US public diplomacy efforts, including working with health organisations and women’’s groups to raise awareness of women’’s health issues, cancer awareness and detection, and patient empowerment and advocacy,” News.com.au quoted the statement as saying.
Her first trip is expected to take place at the end of the month, and will include stops in Romania, Hungary, Kosovo and Poland. (ANI)
- 'Fran Drescher Tawk Show' On The Cards - Oct 13, 2010
- Now, New York-based actress wants Clinton''s senate seat - Dec 10, 2008
- Fran Drescher Gets Her Very Own Talk Show - Oct 13, 2010
- Police release surveillance photo of Cal Ripken Jr.'s mother's kidnapping - Jul 27, 2012
- Support small farmers to end hunger in Africa: Report - May 16, 2012
- Need to create awareness about cancer of cervix: Doctors - Mar 08, 2012
- Booze may raise breast cancer recurrence risk - Dec 11, 2009
- Eva Longoria, Katy Perry, Pamela Anderson raise AIDS awareness - May 18, 2009
- Bangalore youth wins US video contest - Mar 17, 2009
- More alcohol ups risk of breast cancer recurrence - Dec 14, 2009
- Fran Drescher Speaks Out About Gay Ex Husband - Jun 04, 2010
- Rise in cancer deaths worrying: Sheila Dikshit - Mar 06, 2012
- Health group to map non-communicable diseases - Oct 09, 2011
- More people Googling symptoms for self-diagnosis - Mar 18, 2012
- By 2020, breast cancer to overtake cervical cancer in India - Aug 17, 2010