Fourth ice hockey championship takes place at Leh.January 24th, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by ANI
Leh, Jan 24 (ANI): The fourth National Ice Hockey Championship kicked off at the famous Karzoo ice hockey ring in the snow capped areas of Leh today.
The championship organised jointly by the Indian Ice Hockey Association and Ladakh Winter Sports Club to popularise the sport, attracted seven teams from across the region.
Tsering Dorjey, Chief Executive Officer of Ladakh Autonomous Hill
Development Council, was the chief guest of the event.
Appreciating the Sports Ministry, General Secretary of Ice Hockey Association of India, Akshay Kumar said, “Ice Hockey Association of India has been struggling for four years to get a recognition from the Sports ministry of India. But now our honorable Sports Minister, M S Gill has recognised ice hockey in special category under the sports body, and has also given money to organise this event,” Noani P. Wangchuck, President of the Ladakh Winter Sports Club informed that the championship will continue for one week and the closing ceremony will take place on 28th January. The mountainous region of Ladakh is among the rare places which has the country’’s highest ice-skating ring at 3483 meters above sea level. Tourism is the mainstay of the economy of Ladakh region and winter games are being promoted to help boost tourism in the picturesque region. (ANI)
- 3rd CEC Ice Hockey Championship 2010 underway in Kargil - Jan 23, 2010
- At 90, Shimla's skating rink set for nationals - Dec 29, 2010
- Ice Hockey Championship kicks off in Leh - Jan 12, 2008
- Kashmiri ice skaters preparing to represent India in Poland - Jan 16, 2010
- Indian Ice hockey team prepared for IIHF Challenge Cup - Feb 15, 2009
- Get your skates on the ice in Shimla - Nov 21, 2010
- Ice skaters warm up to Shimla chill - Dec 08, 2011
- Shimla's skaters happy as thick ice sheet covers rink - Dec 02, 2010
- All quiet at Shimla's ice rink after a busy season - Feb 10, 2011
- Hyderabad gets an eco-friendly ice skating rink - May 31, 2010
- Cold wave freezes Kashmir, Leh minus 12.6 - Dec 26, 2010
- Tourists enjoy ice-skating in Shimla - Jan 08, 2010
- Chill brings good tidings for Shimla ice skating rink - Dec 11, 2009
- Shimla's skating rink closes, signalling season's end - Feb 20, 2012
- Tourists throng Himachal Pradesh to usher in the New Year - Dec 31, 2009
Tags: akshay kumar, chief executive officer, chief guest, closing ceremony, general secretary, hockey association, hockey championship, hockey ring, jan 24, ladakh, mainstay, mountainous region, national ice hockey, picturesque region, rare places, sea level, sports ministry, wangchuck, winter games, winter sports club