Four Sukhoi fighter jets stationed at TezpurJune 15th, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
Tezpur June 15 (ANI): To strengthen its capability along the borders of China, the Indian Air force (IAF) today stationed four Sukhoi fighter jets at the Tezpur airbase in Assam.
Air Marshal S.K. Bhan, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Air Command, attended the ceremony to welcome the arrival of the four fighters at the base.
This is the second step taken by the IAF to strengthen its infrastructure in the northeast region after the reviving two air bases — Daulat Beg Oldi and Chushul in Ladakh.
It was an emotional moment for the 50-year-old air base, which was earlier catered to MiG aircrafts until they were removed last year.
The Sukhois, which are the key fighter jets of the IAF, can reach the Chinese frontier in less than four minutes from any of the three airports of Assam, which they are expected to use.
Sources said the IAF is also considering to base the squadrons of SU - 30 MKI at Chabua in Upper Assam, Halwara in Punjab and Jodhpur in Rajasthan.
Both Tezpur and Chabua stations are just four to six minutes away from the Chinese border, and the IAF jets can also reach the Indo-Myanmar border within the same time. The Sukhois can reach a maximum speed of 1.5 Mach.
The SU-30 is a twin cockpit, multi-role all weather, superiority fighter with air-to-air refuelling capability. The aircraft, now being manufactured at Nasik based unit of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) was originally designed and developed in Russia. (ANI)
- IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast - Mar 01, 2011
- IAF to induct more fighters, radars in northeast - Jul 27, 2011
- India re-activating air strip in Arunachal - Nov 17, 2011
- After Tezpur, Sukhoi war planes at Chabua near India-China border - Jun 02, 2009
- IAF scouting for long-range missiles - Apr 25, 2011
- Crash-hit Sukhois get Indian Air Force chief's thumbs up - Dec 21, 2011
- IAF's Sukhois to roar close to Pakistan border - Sep 30, 2011
- Air Marshal Kumaria on a two-day visit to Air Force Station Chandigarh - Mar 01, 2011
- Sukhoi squadron in northeast formally inducted - Jun 15, 2009
- Antony to review northeast security, defence preparedness - Feb 17, 2011
- Countering China: First four Sukhoi fighters land at Tezpur - Jun 12, 2009
- Sukhoi Su-30s formally inducted in northeast (Lead) - Jun 15, 2009
- Antony to visit North-East to review security situation, infrastructure development - Feb 17, 2011
- Up above the world so high, IAF in the sky (Oct 8 is the IAF's 78th anniversary) - Oct 07, 2010
- No airspace violation in eastern India: IAF - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: air bases, air marshal, airbase, aircrafts, bhan, chinese border, chinese frontier, emotional moment, hindustan aeronautics limited, indian air force, jodhpur, ladakh, maximum speed, myanmar border, six minutes, su 30 mki, sukhoi fighter jets, sukhois, superiority fighter, upper assam