Four students killed in Assam police firingJuly 22nd, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Barpeta (Assam), July 22 (ANI): At least four students were killed and over a dozen others injured, when the police opened fire on rampaging protestors attempting to stop updating of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam’s Barpeta town on Wednesday.
The protestors consisting of All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU) activists turned violent and started vandalising, attacking shops and private vehicle and even tried storming the District Magistrates Office in a bid to stop updating of National Register of Citizens (NRC) work in progress.
Police first resorted to baton charge and then opened fire in the air, before firing at the protestors to disperse them.
“I have known that three people have died on the spot and the injured are in Barpeta Civil Hospital and in Guwahati Medical College Hospital,” said Saiful Islam, relative of an injured student.
Police opened fire when they failed to disperse the protestors even after bursting teargas shells.
Three students died on the spot, while another succumbed to his injuries at the Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
The injured were admitted to the Barpeta Civil Hospital and those with serious injuries were rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
As part of the NRC project, the citizens have been asked to attach some documents as proof of their citizenship included the list of NRC 1951 and electoral roll of 1966 and 1971.
The NRC is being updated to identify and enlist Indian citizens in the State. (ANI)
- Three killed in police firing in Assam - Jul 21, 2010
- Phase one of resident count in three years: Gogoi - Aug 30, 2012
- Four killed in police firing in Assam (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- NRC to be updated by July in Assam - Mar 17, 2012
- Assam journalists protest, boycott AAMSU for three months - Aug 30, 2012
- Assam bandh turns violent, one killed - Aug 28, 2012
- Four Assam jute farmers killed in police firing - Oct 10, 2011
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Accidents kills six in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Bangladeshi influx: Assam NGO seeks Supreme Court intervention - Feb 25, 2012
- Injured anti-talk NDFB cadre arrested in Guwahati - May 07, 2012
- Assam CM's press advisor killed in road accident - Mar 31, 2011
- One killed, Patna students vandalise coaching centres (Third Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- 7 killed, 20 injured in Assam road mishaps - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: activists, assam police, citizenship, district magistrates, electoral roll, four students, indian citizens, magistrates office, medical college hospital, minority students, national register, nrc, private vehicle, proof, protestors, saiful islam, shells, students union, work in progress