Four hurt in Kashmir terror attack (Lead)January 15th, 2010 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 15 (IANS) Three policemen were wounded in a gunfight between separatist guerrillas and security personnel in north Kashmir’s Sopore town Friday after militants lobbed a grenade at a police station, officials said. The grenade blast injured a civilian.
The militants first lobbed a grenade at the heavily guarded police station in the heart of Sopore, injuring a local Congress party worker.
A senior police officer said the grenade hit the roof of the police station, rolled down and exploded near the main entrance.
“A Congress party worker was wounded in the explosion. He was taken to hospital and has been referred by doctors to Srinagar,” the officer said.
Once senior police officers reached the explosion site, guerrillas who were hiding in the vicinity opened fire, triggering a gun battle.
Three police men were injured in the gun fight that started around 45 minutes after the grenade attack. One of them was said to be in a critical condition.
While the firing has stopped, the area has been cordoned off and searches are on for the guerrillas, an official said.
- Gun battle in Kashmir town after grenade attack - Jan 15, 2010
- Two dead in Kashmir terror strike (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Militants attack district police chief's convoy in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- Kashmir police convoy attacked, five injured (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Seven injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Aug 08, 2012
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- Policeman injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Jul 31, 2012
- Gunfight breaks out in Kashmir town - Jun 21, 2010
- Three LeT militants killed in Kashmir gunbattle (Lead changing dateline) - Jun 03, 2011
- Kashmir mosque siege on as militant refuses to give up (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Security personnel killed, another injured in Kashmir attack - Sep 08, 2012
- Nine policemen wounded in Kashmir explosion - Jul 06, 2011
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Two killed as militants attacked Sopore police station in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 15, 2010
Tags: congress party, critical condition, grenade attack, gun battle, gun fight, gunfight, kashmir, main entrance, militants, north kashmir, police men, police officer, police officers, police station, policemen, security personnel, separatist guerrillas, station officials, terror attack, vicinity