Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead)May 27th, 2011 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 27 (IANS) The security forces Friday killed two guerillas in Jammu and Kashmir after gunning down two overnight, police said.
Police said a group of separatist guerrillas fired at a patrol party of the security forces in Nowpora area of Sopore town, 54 kilometres from here, Friday afternoon.
“The fire was returned by the security forces in which two militants have been killed.
“The third militant has taken shelter in a residential house in Nowpora locality. Civilians in the densely populated area are being evacuated before an operation is started against the militant who is hiding,” a senior police officer said here.
Two guerrillas, including a top militant of the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) who was a Pakistani national, were killed in a fierce gunbattle with security forces in south Kashmir’s Shopian district, police said Friday.
A senior police officer said troops of 44 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) troops and local police jointly surrounded a house in Bon Keller village of Shopian district, 45 km from here, Thursday.
“The cordon around the house was laid on specific information about the presence of a group of militants inside. The holed-up militants opened fire at the advance party of the security forces triggering an encounter,” the officer said.
The gunfight ended late Thursday night after both the JeM guerrillas, including Qari Zubair, a Pakistani national who was a divisional commander of the outfit, were killed, he said.
Two houses were damaged during the encounter. Police also said the other slain guerrilla was a local.
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Hizbul guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Nov 17, 2011
- Maluroo encounter ends with capture of third JeM militant - Oct 21, 2010
- Three militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 14, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- Top Hizbul militant killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Gunfight outside Srinagar ends, two militants killed (Third Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
- Jaish chief commander killed in Srinagar (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Five LeT men, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight (Third Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Militant, cop killed in south Kashmir gunfight - Mar 19, 2011
- Three Hizbul Mujahideen militants killed in Shopian encounter - Oct 14, 2010
- Security forces battle guerrillas in Kashmir - Feb 18, 2010
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: advance party, district police, divisional commander, friday afternoon, guerillas, guerrilla, gunbattle, gunfight, jaish, jammu and kashmir, jem, kashmir, militants, police force, qari, rashtriya rifles, reserve police, security forces, separatist guerrillas, south kashmir