Four children killed in Tamil Nadu wall collapseNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:02 am ICT by admin
Rajaguru said his three daughters — Deepa (12), Ezhilarasi (5) and Divya (4) — died on the spot.
“We all were sleeping when water started pouring from the roof. I was trying to wake up my family members when suddenly the roof caved in. They were buried under the roof and died,” said Rajaguru.
In another incident, Gowtham, a three-year old boy, died at Pughazhendi village of Kumbakonam.
Meanwhile, Thanjavur District Collector visited the area where the incidents occurred.
“As soon as the incidents occurred, the government machinery swung into action and special officers were assigned for relief measures,” said Vijaya Rajkumar, District Collector.
Fifteen people have been killed across Tamil Nadu due to heavy rains triggered by the north-east monsoon. The State has received 40-50 centimetres of rainfall till now.
Heavy rains have hit train services and power supply in the State. The State Government has declared Monday a holiday for schools and colleges all over the State.
The State government has stepped up flood relief activities. (ANI)
- Karunanidhi asks ministers to help in flood relief - Nov 23, 2010
- Apex court issues notice in 2004 Tamil Nadu school fire case - Feb 04, 2011
- Apex court issues notice in 2004 Tamil Nadu school fire case (Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Seven killed as rains lash Punjab - Aug 13, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Six die as rains lash Pakistan province - Sep 02, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Death toll in Tamil Nadu rains rises to 179 - Dec 06, 2010
- Over 200 dead in Tamil Nadu as rains abate - Dec 07, 2010
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- Death toll reaches 22 after Nigerian church collapses - Apr 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu officials to estimate rain damages - Dec 04, 2010
- Three killed in Allahabad house collapse - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: children killed, deepa, divya, family members, flood relief, government machinery, heavy rains, incidents, kumbakonam, monsoon, rajkumar, relief activities, relief measures, special officers, state government, tamil nadu, thanjavur district, train services, vijaya, wall collapse