Four ‘abducted’ Posco officials released(lead:Posco officials)November 14th, 2007 - 2:11 am ICT by admin
The senior officials of the Posco-India, the South Korean steel major’s Indian subsidiary, identified as General Manager (Construction) K S Choi, S H Nam, T J Aan and D Ojha, an Oriya official, were held hostage when they were undertaking survey at the company’s proposed captive port site near Paradip in Orissa’s Jagatsinghpur District.
The executives, who were detained around 10 am by the activists of the PPSS, which has been opposing the project, were released at around 4.30 pm.
PPSS President Abhay Sahu said that the officials were released after Officer-in-Charge of Kujang police station Amarnath Panda handed over a written assurance to them.
“All the hostages are in good health,” said Panda.
Earlier, Sahu had said that the company officials were held hostage as they deliberately entered the “restricted” area.
After the company inked MoU with the State Government, villagers have raised barricades to prevent government and company officials from entering the area.
The PPSS has been maintaining that they would not allow Posco’s green-field project to come up near Paradip, saying that the project would displace people.
Posco, world’s fourth largest steel maker, had signed a deal in June 2005 to set up a four-tranche 12 billion dollar steel project in India, marking what was billed the biggest Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the country.
The company had announced it would start steel production in its plants in India by 2010.
The Orissa Government has granted Posco mining lease rights for 30 years to supply a total of 600 million tonnes of iron ore to the new plant. The mining lease has been given in phases, depending on the progress of the plant.
The project also includes a dedicated port and power plant, iron mines, a hot-rolled coil mill and possible help to build railway lines between the mines and the plant. (ANI)
- Orissa villagers observe 'Black Day' to protest Posco pact - Jun 22, 2011
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- Posco seeks lifting of curbs on project site entry - Mar 02, 2012
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- Villagers protest Orissa plan to renew POSCO pact (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
- Wrong site delaying Posco plan: Orissa Congress chief (Interview) - Jul 18, 2011
- Orissa submitted fake documents for Posco nod: Activists - May 04, 2011
- Orissa yet to renew pact with POSCO - Apr 14, 2011
- Orissa to move apex court over POSCO project - Aug 21, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court over mining by POSCO (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- Thousands of Orissa villagers rally against Posco nod - Feb 01, 2011