Former President R.Venkataraman cremated with full state honorsJanuary 28th, 2009 - 7:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.28 (ANI): Former President R.Venkataraman, who passed away on Tuesday after a prolonged illness, was cremated at Ekta Sthal with full state honors on Wednesday.
President Pratibha DeviSingh Patil, Vice-President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Union Home Minister P.Chidambaram, Leader of Opposition L.K.Advani along with several other leaders laid floral wreathes on the body of the late President before it was consigned to flames.
Earlier, the body of the late President was taken in a gun carriage by a tri-services escort from his residence in central Delhi to the cremation site. After the Tricolour draped body was placed on a bier, personnel of the three services reversed arms in homage to the late commander-in-chief. As the funeral pyre was lit by his son-in-law K.V. Venkat, the last post was sounded.
The Government has declared a seven-day period of state mourning for the departed leader. Flags on all government buildings will fly at half mast during the period. All government related functions and celebrations stand cancelled.
Venkatraman was suffering from multi-organ failure and was on advanced life support systems including ventilatory support and continuous hemodialysis from January 12.
He had served as the eighth President of the Republic of India, from 1987 to 1992. He also served seventh Vice-President of India.
He was a member of the Indian National Congress and held various ministerial positions during the course of his long and distinguished career of over six decades.(ANI)
- Prime Minister condoles former President R.Venkataramans death - Jan 27, 2009
- President Patil condoles R.Venkataramans death - Jan 27, 2009
- Cremation of former President Venkataraman to take place today - Jan 28, 2009
- Venkataraman cremated with full state honours (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- Former President R. Venkataraman passes away - Jan 27, 2009
- Venkataraman great son of India: Ansari - Jul 30, 2011
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
- Venkataraman cremated with full state honours - Jan 28, 2009
- Indira Gandhi's birth anniversary celebrated - Nov 19, 2011
- Seven-day state mourning for R.Venkataraman - Jan 27, 2009
- Former Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat to be cremated today - May 16, 2010
- Elderly man beaten to death in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2011
- Government bodies flayed for discrimination at crematorium - Jun 25, 2010
- Thousands attend Bal Apte's funeral - Jul 18, 2012
- Karunakaran cremated, PM pays homage (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: abdul kalam, central delhi, eighth president, funeral pyre, gun carriage, hemodialysis, indian national congress, l k advani, leader of opposition, ministerial positions, organ failure, p chidambaram, pratibha devisingh patil, president mohammad, president of india, republic of india, sthal, union home minister, vice president of india, wreathes