Former militant, bystander shot at in SrinagarJune 7th, 2012 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 7 (IANS) A former militant and a man standing beside him were injured when unidentified gunmen fired at them here Thursday evening, police said.
According to police, two ‘pheran’ (traditional tweed over-garment) clad gunmen fired at Ghulam Hassan Mir in Sadarbal area, seven km from city centre Lal Chowk.
“Mir sustained a bullet injury in his neck while a bystander identified as Abdul Rashid was hit in the leg,” said a senior police officer.
Both were taken to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura, (SKIMSS) where doctors are operating upon Mir whose condition is stated to be critical, the officer added.
Originally belonging to Tral town in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, Mir was running a provision store in Sadarbal for the last ten years, police said.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
- SPO shot at in Kashmir's Sopore - Aug 24, 2011
- 'Central agencies not given access to arrested Kashmir cops' - Jun 19, 2012
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Police man shoots wife, arrested - Mar 14, 2011
- Terrorist killed in Awantipora encounter - Mar 02, 2011
- 103 deaths in 104 days as curfew continues in Kashmir - Sep 22, 2010
- Two killed, 23 wounded as CRPF fires at mobs in Kashmir - Jul 30, 2010
- Night temperatures likely to fall further in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2011
- Two killed, over 50 injured in violence across Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Former Pakistani MP's son shot dead - Mar 08, 2011
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Snowfall brings down mercury in Kashmir - Oct 08, 2011
- Unidentified gunmen kill youth in Kashmir - Jun 06, 2012
- Trooper shot, injured by militants in Kashmir - Oct 14, 2011
- National Conference activist shot dead, killers identified (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011