Forest rangers capture wild elephant calf in JalpaiguriDecember 31st, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by ANI
By Tarak Sarkar
Jalpaiguri (West Bengal), Dec.31 (ANI): Forest Rangers of Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary captured a two-year-old male elephant calf from the vicinity of Madarihat village in West Bengal’s Jalpaiguri District.
The elephant calf was residing in and around the village located near the sanctuary for the last 13 days.
The elephant calf had got detached from its herd few days back and later the herd probably refused its re-entry.
Consequently, it returned to the village where the people began treating the elephant calf like a family member.
“It doest not like forest anymore but lives with us. We also love it and we treat it as part of our family. As we feel sad when our family members go away somewhere similarly we felt good when it lived with us and not go away,” said Budhu Orai, a villager.
On Thursday, rangers tranquillised the elephant and took it away in a truck.
The Divisional Forest Officer said the calf would be nurtured till it becomes mature and then send it back to its natural habitat after proper medical check-up.
“I also feel that this time when an elephant calf has left its herd and has been living with the villagers. This may have resulted in accidents where villagers might have got hurt. That is why we captured it to save the villagers. It is healthy but seems tired. We will get it examined and then train it to become a mature elephant,” said Om Prakash Gupta, Divisional Forest Officer. (ANI)
- Elephants cause havoc in Jalpaiguri's tea estate - Dec 08, 2010
- West Bengal sanctuary's captive elephants enjoy a day off - Sep 18, 2010
- Siliguri forest officials undertake rhino census - Mar 12, 2011
- Elephant gives birth to calf in Gorumara National Park in West Bengal - Sep 04, 2010
- Speeding train kills elephants in Jalpaiguri - Sep 23, 2010
- Elephant calf found dead in West Midnapore - Nov 15, 2010
- Tusker kills man cycling to work - Feb 22, 2011
- Sick baby elephant dies in West Bengal - Aug 16, 2009
- Jumbo calves in Jalpaiguri are specially trained for patrolling - Feb 25, 2010
- Elephant hit by train dies, another very critical - Jul 01, 2011
- Baby elephant rescued by forest rangers in Dooars region of W Bengal - Aug 02, 2009
- Centre's decision to confer 'National Heritage' status on elephants welcomed - Oct 29, 2010
- Two elephants shifted to Bengdubi to search for injured elephant - Aug 05, 2010
- Trying to save young ones, seven elephants mowed down by train - Sep 23, 2010
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: accidents, elephant, elephant calf, family member, family members, few days, forest officer, forest rangers, herd, jalpaiguri district, male elephant, medical check, natural habitat, om prakash, prakash gupta, sarkar, vicinity, villager, west bengal, wildlife sanctuary