Forensic report confirms two Kashmiri women were rapedJune 7th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 7 (IANS) A forensic report has confirmed that two women found dead in south Kashmir’s Shopian town last week had been raped before being murdered, police said Sunday. The deaths have triggered violent protests across the valley for the past week.
The police registered a case of gang rape after a Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) report received Saturday evening, a senior police officer told IANS .
“The report was received by us yesterday (Saturday),” the official said.
The killing of the two women, Neelofar Jan, 22, and her sister-in-law Asiya Jan, 17, led to massive protests across Kashmir where life has been paralyzed completely for the past week.
The autopsy of the two bodies was conducted last Saturday. The samples collected by a team of doctors were sent to FSL.
The villagers and the family members of the two women allege that they were raped and murdered by the security forces.
Though the state government initially said it was a case of death by drowning, the massive public outrage forced Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to order a judicial probe.
Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, whose call for a general shut has paralyzed the valley for the past week, was arrested Saturday evening.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force Sunday used teargas shells and batons to disperse a group of women protestors led by hardline Dukhtaran-i-Milat chairperson Asiya Andrabi.
Angry youth took to the streets in parts of the old city and indulged in stone pelting on the security forces.
- Dukhtaran-i-Milat protests women's death in Valley - Jun 07, 2009
- Top Kashmir woman separatist leader arrested (Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Kashmiri woman separatist leader Andrabi arrested (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Women's group protests in Kashmir over Assam, Myanmar - Aug 17, 2012
- Kashmir women's group seeks Aafia Siddiqui's release - Jan 27, 2012
- Another wanted leader of Geelani's Hurriyat faction held - Aug 29, 2010
- Separatist strike hits life across Kashmir - Jul 25, 2009
- Cellphones recovered from Kashmir prison - Apr 17, 2011
- Curfew lifted from most parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 29, 2010
- Shopian activist found dead in Kashmir orchard - Sep 09, 2009
- PM's Kashmir speech too late, too little, say Kashmiris - Aug 10, 2010
- Omar hits out at woman separatist leader - Aug 18, 2010
- Protests continue in Srinagar over Shopian probe report - Dec 16, 2009
- Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army men - Jul 22, 2011
- Cops suspended for destroying evidence in Shopian rape - Jun 22, 2009
Tags: angry youth, batons, case of death, chief minister, forensic report, forensic science laboratory, gang rape, geelani, group of women, judicial probe, kashmiri women, massive protests, protestors, public outrage, reserve police, saturday evening, separatist leader, sister in law, south kashmir, violent protests