Foreigners embark on pilgrimage to Buddhist sites on footNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:13 am ICT by admin
The tourists offered their prayers at the Mahabodhi temple, which is also the country’s 23rd heritage monument, before embarking on their ambitious pilgrimage.
“In the past, everyone used to walk to these places (Gangotri). It is walking pilgrimage. It is very nice to walk in between these Buddhist sites,” said Martin Altof, a tourist from the Netherlands.
There are several important Buddhist religious places - Bodh Gaya in Bihar, where Lord Buddha attained salvation, Sarnath, Kushinagar, where Lord Buddha breathed his last, Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh, an ancient seat of Buddhist learning, and several monasteries in Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
India, in the recent past, has been promoting Buddhist tourism, particularly targeting South East Asian countries, China and Japan, which have a sizeable Buddhist population. (ANI)
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Kushinagar in UP to have international airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Bhutanese Prime Minister to participate in Mahabodhi Society meeting - Sep 25, 2010
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Buddhist monks want control of Bodh Gaya temple - Nov 27, 2009
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Richard Gere campaigns to turn Bodh Gaya into vegetarian zone - Jan 07, 2010
Tags: ancient seat, arunachal pradesh, attained enlightenment, bihar, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, buddhist pilgrimage, east asian countries, embark, founder of buddhism, gangotri, himachal pradesh, lord buddha, madhya pradesh, mahabodhi temple, pilgrimage sites, religious places, sanchi, sarnath, south east asian countries