Foreign monks distribute blankets among the poor in Bodh GayaJanuary 17th, 2008 - 11:16 am ICT by admin
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Jan 17 (ANI): A group of foreign monks distributed nearly two thousand blankets among the poor and the needy during the ongoing ‘Buddha Mahotsava’ here.
The monks, coming from Singapore, Taiwan, Bangkok and Hong Kong, distributed the blankets to help the poor beat the chill.
Gunthuk Rinpochhe, a Buddhist monk from Singapore, said: “Bodh Gaya is a place where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment, so we found that it will be good if we provide needy people with blankets. They are suffering, as it is cold now and it will give them little warmth.”
The group aims to distribute blankets to at least 10,000 people in the region.
The blankets were distributed under the aegis of a self-help group, Atisha Kadampa Organisation Charitable Project.
The three-day long Buddhist festival ‘Buddha Mahotsava’ began in Bodh Gaya on Tuesday, where Lord Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment in the sixth century BC.
Thousands of Buddhist monks, devotees and scholars from across the globe have arrived here to take part in the annual event.
Apart from Bodh Gaya, pilgrims also visit places like Kushinagar, Rajgir and Kusambhi, which are believed to have figured in the life of Lord Buddha. All these places attract Buddhist pilgrims from South Asian countries. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Buddhist monks preach non-violence in Maoist-hit villages - Nov 23, 2009
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Nation celebrates Buddha Purnima - May 27, 2010
- Kushinagar monks complain about poor maintenance of old Buddha statue - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: aegis, bangkok, bihar, blankets, bodh gaya, buddha, buddhist festival, buddhist monk, buddhist monks, buddhist pilgrims, charitable project, chill, devotees, enlightenment, kadampa, lord buddha, rajgir, sixth century, south asian countries, warmth