For Shiv Sainiks, UPA and Left leaders are RavanasNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin
Activists shouted slogans and held banners accusing the leaders of insulting Lord Ram.
The Hindu groups have been upset with the Central Government’s statement before the Supreme Court on the project, saying that Ramayana is no proof of the existence of Lord Ram. But the Congress party led ruling coalition backtracked on the ‘affidavit’ the next day and sought three months time from the apex court to file an amended one, following threats of nationwide protests by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Pictures of the faces of Sonia Gandhi and other leaders were pasted on the effigies.
Jaibhagwan Goel, chief of north India faction of Shiv Sena, demanded an apology from the leaders.
“We are protesting against (Congress party President) Sonia Gandhi, (Prime Minister) Manmohan Singh, (Union Law minister) Hansraj Bhardwaj, (Union Culture Minister) Ambika Soni, (Tamil Nadu Chief Minister) Karunanidhi, (Union Shipping and Transport Minister) T R Balu and (General-Secretary of Communist Party of India-Marxist) Prakash Karat,” Goel said.
“Today we are burning their effigies in place of Ravana on the tenth day of the festival, to give the message to the people,” he said.
Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollar project, saying it would destroy the ‘holy’ Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
According to the Central Government, research has shown that the Ram Setu was a series of sand shoals created by sedimentation, but according to Hindus the narrow link, also known as Adam’s Bridge, was built by Lord Rama.
The Sethusamudram Project will dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic for ships moving from the Arabian Sea to the Bay of Bengal.
Dredging for the project began in 2005, and the channel — 12 metres deep, 300 metres wide and almost 90 km long — will provide a crucial link between the Palk Bay and the Gulf of Mannar once completed. (ANI)
- Telangana, Sethusamudram rock parliament - Mar 29, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- 14 Shiv Sena, BJP legislators in Maharashtra suspended for year - Mar 30, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned for the day (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Telangana, Sethusamudram disrupt Lok Sabha - Mar 29, 2012
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
- Narayan Rane's aide rejoins Shiv Sena - Mar 12, 2011
- Here Ravana worshipped on Dussehra! - Oct 05, 2011
- Protests across Maharashtra against petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
Tags: bjp, central government, communist party of india, congress party, goel, hindu groups, karunanidhi, lord ram, prime minister manmohan singh, ramayana, rameswaram, ravana, shiv sena, sonia gandhi, sri lanka, tamil nadu, UPA