Foot pain could be a warning sign of diabetesOctober 26th, 2008 - 12:39 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 26 (ANI): Burning, tingling or numbness in the feet and toes could be the first symptoms of diabetes, according to physicians with the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
Foot and ankle surgeons say those symptoms may be caused by a condition called diabetic peripheral neuropathy, or nerve damage.
Neuropathy in the feet can lead to permanent numbness, deformities such as bunions and hammertoes, and dry skin that cracks open and won”t heal.
“Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is not only painful but dangerous. It’’s a leading contributor to foot ulcers in people with diabetes,” said Boston foot and ankle surgeon John M. Giurini, DPM, FACFAS, president of the 6,000-member surgeons” association.
Burning, tingling and numbness in the toes can also be symptoms of thyroid problems, nutritional deficiencies, back problems and pinched nerves in the ankles.
Out of the 23 million Americans with diabetes, one in four hasn”t been diagnosed.
According to FootPhysicians.com, even diabetic patients who have excellent blood sugar control can develop diabetic neuropathy.
Medications can treat neuropathy pain but nerve damage cannot be reversed.
“When you have diabetes, and especially diabetic neuropathy, a minor cut on your foot can turn into a catastrophe. The statistics on diabetic ulcers are sobering,” said Giurini. (ANI)
- Pretty shoes can create ugly feet for women - May 23, 2011
- Experts sound alarm on diabetic foot - Apr 11, 2010
- New method to help nerves grow after trauma or injury found - Jul 13, 2010
- Drug shows promise against debilitating condition of diabetes - Sep 11, 2010
- Surgeons issue warning against cosmetic foot surgery - Jun 25, 2010
- Skateboarding can cause serious foot, ankle injuries - Aug 27, 2009
- Foot ulcers dangerous for diabetics - Nov 26, 2009
- Looking into eyes may help predict amputation risk in diabetics - Mar 27, 2011
- People with diabetes lose more than money - Oct 07, 2008
- Thermometer can save loss of limbs in diabetes - Jan 18, 2011
- Don't always have your noses up. Look down at your feet too! - Apr 14, 2010
- Foot asleep? Wake up to diabetes! - Nov 13, 2008
- Common blood test may help predict diabetes nerve loss - May 19, 2009
- New drug combo may treat newly diagnosed cancer patients - Dec 10, 2010
- High heels may be harmful for womens health - Sep 22, 2008
Tags: ankle surgeon, ankle surgeons, blood sugar control, diabetic patients, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, diabetic ulcers, foot and ankle, foot pain, foot ulcers, member surgeons, nerve damage, numbness in the feet, numbness in the toes, nutritional deficiencies, pinched nerves, sign of diabetes, symptoms of diabetes, symptoms of thyroid, symptoms of thyroid problems, warning sign