Food, fodder dropped for Kashmir’s snow-trapped nomadsJune 2nd, 2010 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 1 (IANS) Indian Air Force helicopters Tuesday air-dropped several quintals of rations and fodder for the Gujjar and Bakerwal nomads trapped in high altitudes in Jammu and Kashmir after heavy snowfall last week, officials said.
Three helicopters dropped the supplies to the nomads trapped in the Jabbal area of Warwan in Kishtwar district, Jammu Divisional Commissioner Pawan Kotwal said, according to an official release.
The food packages, woollens and other essentials were provided by divisional and district Red Cross Societies.
“This is a joint operation by the civil administration, and the air force,” Kotwal said, adding troops and civil administration officials, carrying tents, blankets and other relief materials, would continue efforts to reach the trapped nomads.
Heavy and unseasonal snowfall and rains caught the Gujjars and Bakerwals in upper reaches off guard. Some of their summer huts have collapsed, and many of them have fallen ill.
Kotwal said the Gujjars’ and Bakerwals’ relatives based in Jammu were also taken along in the helicopters to exact locations of the trapped nomads. The nomads, who travel to highland pastures during summers with their cattle, often intimate the location of their “deras” (campsites) to their relatives and friends who do not join them up in the mountains.
- IAF helicopters supply relief material in Jammu and Kashmir's 's snow-affected areas - Jun 02, 2010
- IAF to rescue people stranded in Jammu region - Jan 25, 2012
- Kashmir nomads want access to pastures close to LoC - Aug 28, 2011
- IAF rushes to evacuate snow-trapped in Jammu - Jan 27, 2012
- Off the road: Kashmir's nomads settling down (Feature) - Nov 04, 2011
- Kashmir's welfare scheme for nomadic Gujjars - Jul 23, 2012
- Trapped Jammu-Kashmir Gujjars seek Govt.'s urgent help - May 30, 2010
- Army donates blankets, sleeping bags to nomadic tribes - Jul 17, 2012
- Gujjars demand steps for protecting Jirga system in Kashmir - Sep 19, 2011
- Snowfall holds up trek of nomadic tribes - Apr 13, 2009
- Gujjars for national model to rehabilitate Kashmir tribes - Jan 16, 2011
- Hot March leads Kashmir shepherds to early migration - Mar 28, 2010
- IAF sorties for stranded passengers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 20, 2012
- Journey of Kashmir's nomads coming to end? (Feature) - Aug 31, 2009
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: administration officials, blankets, campsites, civil administration, cross societies, divisional commissioner, fodder, gujjar, gujjars, heavy snowfall, helicopters, high altitudes, huts, indian air force, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, quintals, rations, relief materials, upper reaches