Floods wreak havoc in Ferozepur, ravage cropsSeptember 27th, 2010 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
By Sarabjeet Singh
Ferozepur, Sep. 27 (ANI): With the water-level of the River Satluj rising, several low-lying areas have been inundated in Punjab’s Ferozepur District, leaving locals homeless and acres of cropland damaged.
Over 12,000 cusecs of water was released into the river from the Bhakra Dam on Thursday, causing the river to swell.
Several villages located near the embankments of the river were completely submerged by the gushing waters.
“The water level in the river has stopped rising but now it has started increasing once again. The flood water has reached our villages and completely damaged our fields,” said Shinder Singh, a villager.
Residents said they expected help from the government and blamed it for not doing enough.
“Thousands of acres of our fields and standing crops have been destroyed. We request the government to offer whatever compensation they can to the people whose houses have collapsed,” said Singh.
The monsoon this year has caused extensive floods in several parts of north Indian state like Haryana, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh causing huge devastation to life and property. (ANI)
- Thousands flee after Punjab floods - Aug 25, 2010
- Villages inundated in Haryana as Yamuna overflows banks (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Haryana battling floods, releases more water in Yamuna (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Yamuna flowing at alarming level in Haryana, two killed - Sep 11, 2010
- Flood threat over Punjab, Haryana towns (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Flood threat looms over border villages in Punjab - Aug 28, 2010
- Incessant rains continue to cause havoc across Punjab - Aug 29, 2010
- Bhakra water level rises, flood threatens Punjab, Haryana - Aug 24, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Agricultural land flooded in Punjab - Jul 09, 2011
- Flood threat looms over Punjab, Haryana towns - Aug 23, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana villages flooded as rivers rise alarmingly - Sep 10, 2010
- Punjab cautions against possibility of floods - Aug 17, 2011
- Rescue work on as floods threaten Punjab, Haryana - Aug 26, 2010
- Fresh breach in Yamuna poses flood threat to Haryana - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,