Floods put the dampeners on Ramadan spirits in LucknowSeptember 7th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow , Sept 7 (ANI): Devout Muslims living in relief camps in flood-hit Lucknow on sunday said they are unable to observe Ramadan, as there is not even a proper place to pray.
Floods have dampened the spirits of Muslims during the holy month of ”Ramadan” in Lucknow city.
Ramadan is the holiest month of the religious calendar. Muslims must abstain from eatables and drinks from dawn to dusk, a discipline believed to better their souls.
Displaced by the floods and languishing in makeshift relief camps, Muslims are finding it difficult to observe Ramadan rituals like ”Sehri” (a pre-dawn meal) and ”Iftar” (the breaking of the fast), as there are no facilities in these camps.
They bemoan their fate, as they are unable to observe the tenets of Islam.
“This is our holy month and comes once a year. We are very distressed that we are not able to follow it this time. It means a lot to us. There is no place here, where we can offer prayers, there is nothing to eat, and we have to ask the neighbours for water,” said Rani, a flood victim.
“We are not able to observe Roza this time, as there is no provision for food and water, we are finding it really difficult to follow the rituals,” added Shamsher Ali.
The month long fasting ends with the celebrations of Eid.
Ramadan, the ninth month of the Muslim Hijri lunar calendar, commemorates the revelation of Quran, Islam’’s holy book, and has traditionally been a time of religious fervour, settling old disputes and behaving charitably towards neighbours and poor. (ANI)
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- Flood-hit Pakistanis observe Ramadan fast in relief camps - Aug 12, 2010
- Pickle markets witness brisk business in Kashmir - Sep 24, 2008
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- 200-year-old Ka'aba shroud goes on display in UAE - Aug 07, 2011
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- UAE distributes food for Iftar in Senegal, Nigeria - Jul 20, 2012
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Ramadan, an uplifting time for stock markets in Muslim countries - Aug 04, 2010
- Bangladesh minister slammed for comments on Janmashtami - Aug 31, 2010