Floods affect Punjab villagesJuly 6th, 2010 - 11:52 pm ICT by ANI
Samrala village (Punjab), July 6 (ANI): Floods have started to play havoc in Punjab villages.
On Tuesday, in Samrala Village of Punjab, the flood situation turned grim while dozens of villages were inundated.
The mainly affected villages included Toddarpur, Dhande, Orana, Kulewal, Barma, Herian, Rajewal and Kheernian.
“More than hundred villages are affected due to floods out of which 25-30 villages are badly affected. A village has minimum thousand acres of land, and even if we consider the minimum loss, around 50,000 acres of land is badly affected,” said Balbir Singh Rajewal, Leader, Bharat Kissan Union (BKU).
The main victims of floods are the farmers, as floods have spoiled their crops.
“We have grown paddy and rice in our farmland which has been spoiled because of this flood. In fact, dirty river water entered in our houses, which is harmful for our households. All the farmers are really upset for their crops,” said Nihal Singh, Farmer, Samarala Village.
Special pumps have been requisitioned from neighboring districts to expedite de-watering operation. Flood protection machinery has been put on high alert.
The deputy Chief Minister of Punjab, Sukhbir Singh Badal, visited Samrala village and assured immediate relief to the villagers.
“Medical facility has been provided to the villagers and we are providing veterinary doctors too so that there won’t be any kind of infection. We are providing drinking water also to the villagers, considering the health of people, “said Sukhbir Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister, Punjab.
The incessant rainfall has flooded several low-lying areas in the region, besides affecting power supply and road traffic. (ANI)
- Punjab to assess farmers' losses following canal breach - Jul 05, 2010
- Flood toll in Punjab and Haryana reaches 40 (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 16, 2010
- Fresh breaches in Ghaggar submerge more Punjab villages (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Several villages cut off in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 13, 2010
- Water recedes in Haryana, Punjab; toll 32 - Jul 10, 2010
- Punjab seeks revision of flood compensation rates - Jul 19, 2010
- 11 dead with no let up in Haryana, Punjab floods (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2010
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention in Haryana canal row - Jul 06, 2011
- Punjab government, farmers' body reach deal over central grant - Sep 24, 2010
- Punjab moots pension for farmers - May 16, 2012
- Punjab to identify villages having uranium-laced water - Jul 05, 2011
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Muskmelon crop hit by viral disease in Punjab - Apr 28, 2011
- Sirsa inundated, rescue work on in Haryana, Punjab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: balbir singh, chief minister of punjab, deputy chief minister, dirty river, drinking water, farmland, flood protection, flood situation, floods, havoc, medical facility, nihal, operation flood, orana, paddy, river water, road traffic, sukhbir singh badal, thousand acres, veterinary doctors