Flooded Kosi affects one million people in BiharAugust 26th, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
Madhepura (Bihar), Aug 26 (ANI): The swollen Kosi River breaking its embankments and changing course has ravaged many villages on its way to join the river Ganges affecting over a million people in Bihar.
Kosi River flows from Nepal to India and is known as the ”Sorrow of Bihar” for the havoc it wreaks in many districts of the eastern state each year.
Reports say floods have caused large-scale loss of life and property in six eastern districts of the state following an over 2,000-metre breach in the Kosi embankment in the Nepal region.
The three districts of Saharsa division, and the parts of Purnia and Bhagalpur divisions, have been most adversely impacted. The affected districts are Saharsa, Supaul, Bhagalpur, Purnia, Araria, Katihar and Madhepura.
People in Madhepura said that they are somehow managing to live on wooden logs, boats and rooftops.
“Around 700-800 houses have been damaged, people are somehow managing to live on wooden logs and roof tops. Many rooftops are also damaged, those people don”t know where to go,” said Sanjeev Kumar, flood victim.
According to reports, thousands of people have taken shelter on rail tracks and canals banks and other elevated places.
Jugat Lal Yadav, another flood victim, said, “No arrangements have been made, we live here only, near the river. We drink its water when we feel thirsty even though people die because of this river.” (ANI)
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Flood victim injured in police firing in Bihar - Aug 25, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 19, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011