Flood situation remains grim in UP, BiharAugust 22nd, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow/Patna, Aug 22 (ANI): The flood situation remains grim in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, as all rivers in both states are flowing above the danger mark.
Bihar recorded eleven deaths, while sixteen people have died in Uttar Pradesh.
Over 600 villages in the Terai district and 250 villagtes in the Sidharth Nagar District of Uttar Pradesh have been affected by the floods.
The flood situation in Bihar worsened on Saturday as swollen rivers inundated vast swathes of countryside in seven districts.
The river Burhi Rapti, Kunhara and Jamuar nullah are flowing above the danger mark in Uttar Pradesh. Thousands of acres of crops in Barabanki, Bahraich, Siddharthanagar and Pilibhit have been destroyed by the flood.
According to the State Relief Commissioner, over one lakh people have been evacuated from the affected areas.
Over five lakh people were affected as flood inundated Kishanganj, Saharsa, Supaul, Sitamarhi, and Purnia in Bihar.
The Central Water Commission report, has cautioned the state over the flood in major rivers like Bagmati, Kosi, Kamala Balan and Mahananda.
While Kosi was flowing above the danger mark at Basua, Bagmati breached the danger level at Benibad and Hayaghat.
Similarly, water level of Kamala Balan flowed above danger mark at Jhanjharpur, Kursela and Baltara while Mahananda flowed above danger mark at Dengraghat
The State Water Resources Department has claimed that all embankments in Bihar are safe. (ANI)
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 19, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Bihar - Sep 27, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Flood cripples normal life in eleven Bihar districts - Aug 30, 2009
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- 40,000 affected as north Bengal rivers in spate - Jul 17, 2012
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Flood situation worsens in Bihar - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: balan, central water, countryside, crops, danger level, danger mark, deaths, embankments, flood situation, floods, kosi, lucknow, nullah, purnia, state water resources, swollen rivers, water commission, water level, water resources department