Flood situation remains grim in AssamSeptember 11th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by ANI
Majuli Island , Sept 9 (ANI): Situation remains grim in Majuli in Assam , where thousands have been displaced by floods.
Water has flooded the entire river island, affecting thousands of people and disrupting communications.
Like every year, this year too the mighty Brahmaputra river breached a vital embankment along Majuli during the monsoon, rendering thousands homeless and destroying crops.
The Central Government, which has preoccupied with the Bihar floods, has now responded to urgent pleas for help by the State, where at least 16 districts have been inundated.
The floodwaters have submerged 132 villages in Majuli alone, displacing thousands of people from there.
Congress Working Committee member and AICC in-charge of Assam M. Veerappa Moily visited the flood-affected areas of the state on Wednesday and expressed sadness at the state of affairs.
“I”ve understood the problem in Majuli and the surrounding areas which have been very badly affected. There have been breaches in the embankments, there have been erosion. As many as 9, 000 people have been dislocated. Damage to roads and bridges also has been there,” said Moily.
Moily was accompanied by Assam Revenue Minister Bhumidhar Barman, Social Welfare Minister Akon Bora and PCC president Bhubaneswar Kalita.
Over a million people have been affected by floods. So far, 15 people have been killed and 120,000 hectares (300,000 acres) of farmland have been submerged. Most of the Kaziranga National Park , home to more than half of the world’’s population of one-horned rhinoceros, is under water and at least two rhino calves have drowned. (ANI)
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- PM, Sonia visit Assam to assess flood situation - Jul 02, 2012
- Floods ravage Majuli islands in Assam - Aug 25, 2009
- Floods wreak havoc in Assam, 200,000 displaced - Jul 03, 2009
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
- Health camp opened to help Assam's flood victims - Sep 05, 2009
- One killed, 400,000 displaced in Assam floods - Jul 05, 2009
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Two killed in lightning, 10,000 displaced in Assam floods - May 16, 2010
- Red alert sounded in Assam as flood situation turns grim - Jul 03, 2009
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: aicc, akon, assam, bhubaneswar, brahmaputra river, committee member, congress working committee, embankment, embankments, flood situation, floodwaters, half of the world, kalita, kaziranga national park, pcc president, revenue minister, rhinoceros, roads and bridges, social welfare minister, veerappa