Five-year-old elephant calf captured in CoonoorAugust 14th, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
Coonoor (Tamil Nadu), Aug 14 (ANI): A five-year-old elephant calf was captured by forest officials in Coonoor in Tamil Nadu.
The elephant had strayed towards a human habitation after separating from its herd.
The officials tranquillized the elephant that had been creating problems for inhabitants of the tea estate in the town, and later released it in the Burliar forest area.
“Fifteen days back one elephant herd of seven elephants visited Coonoor range of north division. One elephant about five-year-old separated from the herd, but our department tried to reunite the calf with the herd, but it did not succeed. The chief forest officer ordered us to tranquillize it,” said Kalaivanan, forest veterinarian, Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.
Experts have repeatedly opined that massive deforestation, poaching and people encroaching upon forest corridors have forced the elephants to move out of their natural habitats in search of food and water.
India has over 50 per cent of Asiatic elephants, considered to be among the most intelligent animals, but their population has dwindled in recent years. (ANI)
- Elephant found dead in West Bengal - Jan 30, 2011
- Baby elephant rescued by forest rangers in Dooars region of W Bengal - Aug 02, 2009
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Assam villagers poisoning elephants to prevent attacks - Oct 14, 2010
- Mudumalai Tiger Reserve has a new baby elephant and panther cub - Aug 12, 2009
- Elephants spread havoc in West Bengal's Bankura District - Sep 09, 2010
- Outrage over baby elephant's killing in Assam - Oct 27, 2010
- Last respects paid to an elephant in Tamil Nadu - Mar 15, 2009
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Elephants wreak havoc in Jalpaiguri - Aug 28, 2009
- Man-animal conflict: Assam forms response teams - Mar 30, 2012
- Stray leopard spreads chaos in Thane - Feb 06, 2011
- Zoo authorities rescue elephant from storm - Nov 01, 2009
- Elephant calf found dead in West Midnapore - Nov 15, 2010
- Elephants worship Lord Ganesha in Mudumalai - Aug 24, 2009
Tags: asiatic elephants, corridors, elephant, elephant calf, elephant herd, fifteen days, forest area, forest officer, forest officials, human habitation, inhabitants, intelligent animals, massive deforestation, natural habitats, population, tamil nadu, tea estate, tiger, tiger reserve, veterinarian