Five PULF militants formally surrender before chief ministerJuly 3rd, 2008 - 11:59 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, July 3 (ANI): Five cadres of different factions of the People’s United Liberation Front (PULF) have surrendered formally with arms and ammunition before Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh on Wednesday.
On the occasion, the Chief Minister said that violence and killing were not the ultimate solution to the conflict situation in Manipur.
Of the five cadres, three surrendered through the SP, Imphal east district police while the remaining two through the SP, Thoubal district police.
The three who surrendered through the SP, Imphal east were Mohammad Amu alias Tayb Ali (33), Mohammad Ramijuddin (20), and Mohammad Riyajuddin alias Ibai alais Rohid (25).
Amu surrendered with a Thomson carbine and magazine, a 9 mm pistol with magazine and six live rounds. He had joined the outfit in the year 2005 through a self-styled deputy finance secretary, Safi and got military training at Kasom, Ukhrul district under the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM) and served the outfit as self-styled project director.
Ramijuddin who surrendered with an AK-56 rifle and 30 rounds of ammunition joined the outfit through self-styled DC Mohammad Malik of PULF (MI) faction and worked under him.
Mohammad Riyajuddin joined PULF (Azad) group in January 2007 and got military training at old Mandu, Tamenglong district in the same year. He surrendered with two 9 mm pistols with seven rounds of ammunition, which was issued to him by the self-styled finance in-charge Ithem of Azad faction.
They surrendered to the SP, Imphal East police on July 2, June 29 and July 1 respectively.
The last two cadres who surrendered through the Thoubal district police, SP were Mohammad Hafizuddin alias Mohammad Alimuddin alias Inao (26), and Loubuktongbam Mohammad Amu alias Boby (22). Both hail from Sora Mamang Leikai of Thoubal district.
The duo surrendered to the SP, Thoubal district police on June 9 this year. Even though cadres of different factions of PULF are performing prejudicial activities with arms, so far the group has not been declared as an outlawed organization.
The government is considering declaring the group as a proscribed one, the Chief Minister said today during the surrender ceremony held at his official bungalow.
The chief minister said that almost all the surrendered people were absorbed in government jobs suited for them. Those who qualified for joining as constables or riflemen were accommodated in the police department, IRB and Manipur Rifles, he said.
Even those who were not physically fit for being constables or riflemen were considered for absorption as grade-IV or followers in the police department, he added while reiterating that maximum benefits were being given to the surrenderees.
Ibobi Singh also once again said that the underground can hold political dialogue with the Centre or with the state government according to their wish for peace in the state as everybody was yearning for peace.
Several ministers of the Ibobi led SPF government, top officials of the state police department, SP of Imphal west L Kailun, Imphal east Thoubal Radheshyam and Thoubal Clay Khongsai and SP CID, SB, Achin attended the function during which the state DGP Y Joykumar read out the names and details of the weapons surrendered by the cadres. (ANI)
- Banned Manipuri outfit chief held for vehicle thefts in Delhi - Oct 23, 2011
- Northeast seperatist leader arrested in New Delhi (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Mizoram militant leader arrested in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- Northeast youth eager to re-join mainstream society - Jul 04, 2010
- 57 militants surrender in Manipur - Dec 16, 2011
- 52 militants surrender in Manipur - Mar 27, 2012
- Manipur Muslim separatist leader arrested in Guwahati - Dec 24, 2009
- NSCN-IM helped form Muslim terror group in Manipur - Jul 24, 2009
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Nine Tripura terrorists flee Bangladesh, surrender - May 17, 2011
- ULFA militant held, a cache of arms seized in Assam - Jul 05, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Naga rebels kill six in Bangladesh camp, held at Tripura border - Oct 05, 2009
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: 9 mm pistols, amu, cadres, carbine, chief minister, conflict situation, deputy finance, district police, finance secretary, imphal, isak, manipur, military training, mohammad, national socialist council of nagaland, nscn, project director, safi, ultimate solution, united liberation front