Five more guerrillas killed, death toll in Kashmir gunfight 19March 23rd, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 23 (IANS) Five militants were killed Monday taking the death toll to 19 in the long drawn shootout that erupted between security forces and militants Thursday in a Kashmir forested area, officials said.
A defence spokesman said four troopers injured in the shootout succumbed to their injuries Monday. Five guerrillas were killed in the gunfight raising the number of the slain militants to eleven, said Lt. Col. J.S. Brar.
The army had surrounded a group of heavily armed guerrillas in the Shamswari forests of the north Kashmir Kupwara border district Thursday following specific information about the presence of militants there.
“So far, 19 persons, including an army Major, seven troopers and eleven terrorists, have been killed in the encounter which is still on in the densely forested area,” Brar said.
An officer of 1-Para regiment of the army identified as Major Mohit Sharma of Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, and three troopers were killed till Sunday in this bloody gunfight between the army and the guerrillas.
More troops were rushed to augment the presence of the security forces in the area.
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Six more guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight, death toll 25 - Mar 24, 2009
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Four guerrillas, two soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 07, 2010
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Army Major among 10 killed in Kashmir gunfights (Lead) - Mar 22, 2009
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid, two intruders killed - May 26, 2010
- Kashmir mosque siege on as militant refuses to give up (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Nov 27, 2010
- Two intruders killed as army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Apr 04, 2010
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: army, death toll, defence spokesman, encounter, forests, ghaziabad, guerrillas, gunfight, kashmir, lt, militants, mohit sharma, north kashmir, presence, security forces, terrorists, uttar pradesh