Five gunned down by militants in ManipurNovember 27th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal,Nov.27(ANI):Five laborers were shot dead and some seriously injured by suspected Naga militants at Maphou dam area located near the border of Ukhrul and Thoubal districts in Manipur.
The militants in army uniform gunned down five labourers engaged in the construction of the dam over Thoubal river at Maphou area under Litan police station. Equipment used in the construction of the dam were also damaged by the militants Injured people have been admitted to hospital in critical condition.
Bodies of the dead have been taken to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital in Imphal for postmortem.
The militants escaped under the cover of darkness after the attack which took place at around 10 pm last night.
Security has been tightened in Maphou to prevent any untoward incident after the killings.
Local residents and committees had recently took out a procession in protest against the construction of the dam before properly rehabilitating the affected people. (ANI)
- Shutdown hits normal life in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Additional security for Manipur re-poll - Feb 03, 2012
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Five injured in Imphal grenade attack - Nov 06, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Militants now target state departments and officials in Manipur - Apr 22, 2011
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Seven policemen killed in militant attack in Manipur - Apr 15, 2011
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Pillai meets Manipur chief minister over economic blockade (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Bomber killed in Manipur blast - May 18, 2010
- MP seeks to protect Manipur's territorial integrity - Apr 28, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, one killed - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: army uniform, committees, cover of darkness, critical condition, dam area, imphal, killings, laborers, labourers, manipur, medical science, militants, night security, police station, procession, protest, regional institute, ukhrul, untoward incident