Five civilians killed in Pak military shelling in Bajaur AgencySeptember 26th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar , Sept 26 (ANI): Five civilians, including women and children, were killed and several others injured when Pakistan military launched air strikes at the fleeing tribal families, mistaking them for militants at Gang village in Salarzai Tehsil of Bajaur Agency, last evening.
Two gunship choppers started shelling the fleeing tribal families after militants fired missiles on Civil Colony in Khar where the political administration had convened a tribal Jirga, The News quoted tribal sources as saying.
They said that the missiles on the colony were fired from Baba picket in Khar Tehsil and the choppers started shelling on tribesmen who were fleeing their homes via a road in Gang area of the almost militant-free Salarzai Tehsil.
According to tribal sources, around 400 families fled homes during fierce bombing by jet fighters and gunship helicopters and artillery shelling on suspected hideouts of militants in Mamond, Inayat Kalley, Mulla Said Banda, Charmang, Tang Khatta and Loisam areas.
Since the government clamped a curfew for an indefinite period, the tribesmen living in the troubled spots have been using the only road that passes through Gang area of Salarzai Tehsil to shift their families to safer places in the settled districts, said Ghaniur Rahman, a tribal elder. (ANI)
- 13 militants killed in Bajaur air strikes - Oct 19, 2008
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Pak security forces gun down 19 more militants in Bajaur Agency - Sep 14, 2008
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 50 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 08, 2011
- 15 Taliban killed as Pak troops target their hideouts in Bajaur - Oct 21, 2008
- Militants stop tribals from moving out of Bajaur, to use them as shields against air attacks - Aug 14, 2008
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- Pak security forces kill 28 terrorists in Mohmand tribal region - Jan 29, 2011
- Pak security forces kill 18 Taliban in Bajaur Agency - Nov 04, 2008
- Helicopter gunship attacks kill six militants in Pak's Kurram region - Mar 06, 2011
- Pak security forces kill 22 militants in Bajaur - Nov 22, 2008
- 15 Pak FC soldiers found dead in Swat - Oct 23, 2008
- Suicide attack in Pakistan affront to humanity: Obama (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: air strikes, artillery, choppers, curfew, gunship, hideouts, inayat, indefinite period, jet fighters, jirga, kalley, khar, militants, mulla, pakistan military, political administration, tehsil, tribal families, tribal sources, tribesmen