Fishermen in troubled waters in Himachal PradeshJanuary 10th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by ANI
Kangra Valley (Himachal Pradesh), Jan.10 (ANI): Fishermen in Himachal Pradesh’’s Kangra Valley are searching for fish in the Pong reservoir.
About five tons of fish have disappeared from the water reservoir this year, according to Bodh Raj, the Manager of the Khatiar Fish Collection Society.
The fishermen are attributing it to migratory birds preying on the fish.
A disappointed fisherman, Dharam Pal, said that fishing is not a reliable profession to sustain one’’s livelihood.
“I have not been going for fishing for the last four days. Most of the fish collection societies are facing rough phase now. It is very difficult for us to feed our children from this profession,” said Dharam Pal.
Raj expressed ignorance about the causes behind the fishes vanishing.
“Global warming level has increased worldwide, one can witness its affects even in the Pong Reservoir. For the past three years, we are recording a consistent decrease in number of fish. Now, the condition is more alarming than last year. This year there is a drop of five tons of fishes,” said Raj.
He added that the society had 129 fishermen registered with them and these days they are collecting maximum 90 to 100 kg of fish only.
Experts attribute it to the cumulative effect of global warming, illegal fishing and migratory birds. (ANI)
- Himachal to count its feathered guests this month - Jan 29, 2012
- Tagged birds return to Pong wetlands from China - Dec 27, 2011
- Now GPS to monitor winged visitors to Himachal - Jan 22, 2011
- 41 bird species found in Himachal wetlands - Jun 12, 2011
- With 40,000 winged visitors, Pong wetlands a tiny paradise - Nov 29, 2011
- Pong wetlands hosting over 100,000 feathered guests (Feb 2 is World Wetlands Day) - Feb 02, 2012
- Himachal gets new feathery guest - Jan 17, 2011
- Signals from a ruddy shelduck in Pong wetlands - Mar 23, 2011
- Know the bird and count it too - at Pong wetlands - Jan 25, 2011
- Himachal plans major development around Pong wetlands - Feb 09, 2011
- IUCN to inspect Himachal national park next year - Dec 17, 2011
- Winged visitors keep date with Pong wetlands - Nov 17, 2010
- 40,000 bar-headed geese roosting in Himachal now (With Image) - Jan 20, 2010
- Himachal to promote bird spotting - Jan 10, 2010
- Little grass, bar-headed geese skip Pong wetlands - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: collection societies, cumulative effect, effect of global warming, fish collection, fisherman, fishermen, fishes, fishing, kangra valley, kg, livelihood, migratory birds, pong, profession, troubled waters, water reservoir