First phase to rehabilitate Delhis slum dwellers beginsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 18 (ANI): The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has finalised a rehabilitation scheme for 23 slum clusters proposed to be developed through the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode in the national capital.
Minister of State of Urban Development Ajay Maken recently laid the foundation stone at two colonies in Katputli Colony and Jailerwala Bagh where the first phase of rehabilitating 5,500 slum dwellers has begun.
” The DDA has decided that 23clusters will be rehabilitated in the first phase. 52, 000 flats will be constructed. Katputli colony and Jailerwala Bagh area will be allotted 5,500 to 6,000 flats for which the work has started off. The slum dwellers will be allotted to live in flats within a radius of 1.5 kms of their present location,” Maken said.
Union Science and Technology Minister Kapil Sibal said that for the first time slum dwellers would be allocated flats with all necessary facilities at the same place where they are living.
“All kinds of facilities will be given for them as they have the right to stay with all such facilities around,” Sibal added.
The vision is to have a slum free Delhi by 2012.
Currently, there are over three million people estimated to be living in 1,500 slums in the city. (ANI)
- Delhi government allots flats to 500 slum dwellers - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi ready with 15,000 flats for poor - Sep 06, 2011
- Free flats for scheduled castes, tribes in Delhi - Sep 19, 2011
- Minister pushes for speedy relocation of west Delhi slum - May 28, 2011
- (after 2)No plots yet for many displaced by Games, Metro (With Images) - Feb 05, 2010
- Hundreds homeless as 25-year-old Delhi slum razed - Sep 23, 2010
- 6,000 slum dwellers will have roofs: Dikshit - Jun 22, 2011
- Maharashtra largesse for slum-dwellers, house-seekers - Jan 03, 2012
- Court stays demolition of slums in west Delhi - Mar 25, 2011
- Will make Delhi slum-free, says Dikshit - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Expedite issue of completion certificates' - Feb 24, 2012
- CWG village flats: Pay dues to DDA, court tells Emaar MGF - Mar 19, 2012
- Court tells DDA to give flat to man waiting for 30 years (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
- De-seal flats in Games Village, court tells DDA (Lead) - Nov 03, 2011
- No proposal to allot CWG flats to VIPs: DDA - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: bagh, clusters, colonies, delhi development authority, delhi development authority dda, foundation stone, kapil sibal, minister of state, necessary facilities, New Delhi, public private partnership, radius, science and technology, slum dwellers, slums, technology minister, urban development