First Euro Kersi wrestling championship organized in ItalySeptember 29th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Milan (Italy), Sep.29 (ANI): Promoting and popularising traditional Indian games, the Punjab Educational and Cultural Activates Trust (PECA) on Sunday organized the first international Euro Kesri wrestling competition here.
Organised by the PECA trust, a non-profit organization promoting Punjabi language and culture on a secular and non-political basis, the event was participated by wrestlers from Canada, India, Australia, Great Britain, Switzerland and Europe.
The theme of the wrestling competition was to preserve and promote Indian Heritage and to strengthen common bonds.
Ranjit Singh Masuta, chairman of the PECA trust, on this occasion said that PECA caters to the need of promoting Indian Heritage, both by directly organizing events that bring community members together from all over the European region and by facilitating participation of its community members in mainstream activities.
Masuta informed that PECA was also planning to promote sports events in the rural area of Punjab.
But the First Euro Kesri award was won by Arjun Singh Bhuller of Canada, who has also been five-time winner of Canadian National wrestling champion.
In Canada, there is lot of potential for wrestling. There are a lot of children who are coming up which is good for community. The kids are growing up and they look towards celebrities and sports figures and they wish to be like them, said Arjun Singh Bhuller.
Rustem-e-Hind Dara Singh conferred the award to Arjun Singh in the evening.
It is a matter of great joy that wrestling matches were played in foreign. I think players appreciation is very important. But, back in India, there is not much appreciation of players, which is actually required to be done, Dara Singh, the veteran world wrestling champion.
Dara Singh said that he was happy to see NRIs promoting the traditional sports, which in turn, would help in educating the youth about health and sports.
Also present on the occasion was Giacomo Rossini, the President, Lombardia State of FILA.
The event was organized quite excellently here. The players, who came here to wrestle internationally, were also quite good. They wrestled quite well. A lot of people from India, especially the Punjabis, living in Italy are related to sports, Giacomo Rossini, the President, Lombardia State of FILA. (ANI)
Ends SD NNNN
- Dara Singh - the champion loses his final fight (Obituary) - Jul 12, 2012
- PM condoles passing away of Dara Singh - Jul 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling lost a mentor, says IOA chief - Jul 12, 2012
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Fourth 'Punjabi Film Festival' concludes in Amritsar - Apr 04, 2011
- B-wood mourns Dara Singh's death - Jul 12, 2012
- Every sport needs an icon: Suniel Shetty - Mar 26, 2012
- Stay away from drugs, Dharmendra tells Punjabi youth - Feb 08, 2011
- Delhi to host three-day wrestling championship next week - May 08, 2010
- Dara Singh critical - Jul 07, 2012
- Saina Nehwal conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - Aug 29, 2010
- Kabaddi World Cup - it's all about being Punjabi - Apr 06, 2010
- Now, camel wrestling in Pakistan - Feb 10, 2011
- J-K Police organises wrestling competition in Reasi - Dec 08, 2010
- IHF wants HI to drop show cause notices to players - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: arjun singh, bhuller, common bonds, dara singh, health and sports, india australia, indian heritage, kesri, mainstream activities, milan italy, organizing events, peca, political basis, ravinder singh, rustem, sports figures, time winner, traditional indian games, traditional sports, wrestling matches