First batch of pilgrims leave for the AmarnathJune 16th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by ANI
Baltal Sonamarg (Jammu and Kashmir), June 16 (ANI): The first batch of pilgrims left for the holy cave shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva situated at an altitude of 3880 metres above sea level in Amarnath on Tuesday.
The pilgrimage was earlier scheduled to commence on Monday, but was postponed by a day due to inclement weather.
“We are going to seek the blessings of Baba Barfani (Lord Shiva). We hope that God will solve all our problems and fulfill all our wishes,” said Poonam, a pilgrim
More than 10,000 pilgrims who had reached the Baltal base camp in Ganderbal district on Monday, started their 14 kilometres ascent on Tuesday morning.
Set up deep in the Himalayas, the cave houses an ice formation in the shape of Lingam, symbolising Lord Shiva.
“We will pray for peace in India. We will also pray to give wisdom to those who are trying to divide our nation. We also pray that God will give peace to all of us,” said Anil Sharma, another pilgrim.
Last year, over 450,000 pilgrims visited the cave. The two month long pilgrimage will conclude on August 5. (ANI)
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes - Jul 02, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra - Jul 01, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: altitude, amarnath, ascent, blessings, cave houses, himalayas, holy cave, inclement weather, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kilometres, lingam, lord shiva, pilgrim, pilgrimage, pilgrims, sea level, sonamarg, tuesday morning, wisdom