First batch of pilgrims leave for Amarnath cave in KashmirJune 16th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 16 (IANS) The first batch of pilgrims left the Baltal base camp Tuesday for the holy Amarnath cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir.
More than 10,000 pilgrims, who had reached the Baltal base camp in north Kashmir Ganderbal district Monday, started their 14-km mountain trek towards the holy cave Tuesday morning.
Heavy rains had lashed the yatra route and the rest of the Valley Monday.
“Showers are expected at many places during the day and there has been a drop in the temperature as well. Though the minimum and maximum temperatures would range between 15 and 23 degrees Celsius in the Valley, these would definitely be much lower along the yatra route,” said an official of the local weather office here.
The pilgrims will offer their first prayers inside the cave Tuesday where an ice stalagmite is formed and is seen as an icon of Lord Shiva by the devotees. The Shivalingam is the main attraction for thousands of devotees who throng the cave shrine each year.
Amid shouts of “Bam Bam Bhole” and “Har Har Mahadev”, the traditional cry hailing Hindu god Shiva, the first batch of pilgrims from various parts of the country, especially Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana left Jammu early Monday for this year’s annual pilgrimage to Amarnath.
For the time being the yatra is being allowed only from the north Kashmir route while snow on the traditional south Kashmir route of Pahalgam is being cleared to make both the routes functional for the pilgrims.
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Improve medical aid for Amarnath pilgrims: Apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrims can start registering May 10 - May 03, 2011
Tags: 23 degrees, amarnath cave, bam bam bhole, early monday, first prayers, hindu god, holy cave, jammu, km mountain, local weather, lord shiva, main attraction, maximum temperatures, mountain trek, north kashmir, pahalgam, shivalingam, stalagmite, tuesday morning, weather office