Fire on road to Vaishno Devi shrineMay 20th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
Katra, May 20 (ANI): About 40 shops on way to the Vaishno Devi hill shrine in Jammu and Kashmir caught fire halting the pilgrimage for about four hours.
The estimated loss runs into millions of rupees.
There were many shops selling holy offerings, photographs and food in the market.
Fire spread to several shops due to strong wind and cylinder explosions in the food and tea shops.
Fire broke out in between the pilgrimage lane, a far too narrow path for fire brigade to reach the spot.
Pilgrims and shop owners believe that it suddenly began to rain with blessings of goddess and the flames blew over.
Two persons were reportedly injured in the fire. The eyewitnesses attributed fire to short circuit in a shop.
Vaishno Devi, temple of Hindu Mother Goddess on the Shivalik range of the majestic Himalayas attracts millions of devotees and pilgrims round the year.
Perched atop Trikuta hills at a height of 1,700 meters above sea level, Mata Vaishno devi shrine is held in high esteem among Hindus all over the country.
It attracts more than three million pilgrims every year, particularly during summers and is a huge revenue source for the state. (ANI)
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
- Pilgrims throng Vaishno Devi on New Year - Jan 01, 2011
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: devotees, explosions, eyewitnesses, fire brigade, hindus, holy offerings, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, majestic himalayas, mother goddess, narrow path, pilgrimage, pilgrims, revenue source, rupees, sea level, short circuit, strong wind, tea shops, two persons