Fire in remote Himachal Village leaves hundreds homeless in chilly winterJanuary 6th, 2008 - 11:54 am ICT by admin
Malana (Himachal Pradesh), Jan6 (ANI): More than 150 houses have been gutted in a devastating fire at a remote Himalayan village in Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh.
The fire that broke out late on Saturday has left hundreds of the residents homeless in the chilling winter, as nearly 70 percent of the village, located at an altitude of 10,300 feet was engulfed in flames and smoke.
The fire spread fast as the hutments, made primarily of wood, were in close proximity.
“Our houses are in close proximity and made of woods. Nothing is now left with us. There is no point living here now. This is the first instance of fire on such large magnitude,” said Budh Ram, a resident.
The local Administration found difficult to control the spread of fire and blamed it on the topography of the region.
“We have to go there on foot and fire brigade faced difficulty reaching there. Despite the odds we controlled the fire,” said Deputy Commissioner of Kullu Abhishek Jain.
Those affected by the fire will be given 10,000 rupees as relief. The Deputy Commissioner has also informed that one month ration will be provided to the affected families.
The cause of the fire is still not known. (ANI)
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- 65 houses gutted in Himachal (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Two temples gutted in Himachal - Apr 30, 2009
- Massive fire engulfs Himachal village - Nov 26, 2008
- Himachal deity gets back role in Dussehra festival - May 19, 2012
- 80 houses gutted in Himachal (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- 65 houses gutted in fire in Himachal village - Dec 24, 2011
- Devastating fire in Himachal's Chamba heritage town - Mar 18, 2012
- Six die in Himachal accident - Mar 09, 2011
- Fire sweeps through Himachal village - May 16, 2010
- Seven die in fire near Hyderabad - Feb 18, 2012
- Himachal seizes two properties 'owned' by Chautalas - Dec 17, 2011
- Three killed, 40 hutments gutted in fire - Apr 23, 2011
- Invited to Kullu Dussehra: 250 deities! - Sep 29, 2011
- Cloudburst damages Kullu houses, roads - Aug 23, 2010