Fire destroys goods worth millions in GwaliorMay 18th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
Gwalior, May 18 (ANI): Goods worth millions of rupees were destroyed as massive fire burnt down a godown of power transformers, on the outskirts of Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh.
In the middle of the night, the godown caught fire and the blazes became quite fierce.
According to the fire brigade officials, the inferno spread due to lack of safety and preventive setups in the godown.
As the fire spreads, students from the nearby hostel of the Maharana Pratap College of Technology became panicky and vacated their hostel rooms along with their belongings.
They blamed the fire officials for being late in reaching the spot.
However, the officials of the fire brigade denied the accusations.
“The accusation on us regarding our late arrival is absolutely incorrect. Our fire brigade arrived and then unlocked the doors towards the godown. No one from the power transmission department informed us. They didn’t even have any safety arrangements. They have such a huge godown; security arrangements should have been there. When we arrived, we woke up the watchman and then opened the doors to control the fire,” said Devendra Sharma, officer of the Gwalior fire brigade.
Scores of fire tenders from the Air Force base at Maharajpur, the Border Security Force, and Municipal Corporation were rushed to the spot to control the fire.
Once the fire is completely extinguished, further investigations into the incident will ascertain the exact cause and overall losses and other damages. (ANI)
- Fire at Lucknow hotel, no casualties - Mar 05, 2012
- Major fire in Punjab godown - Apr 30, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Inadequate fire safety in Delhi hospitals: Experts - Dec 09, 2011
- Delhi rubber factory gutted, no casualties - Mar 26, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- One killed, three injured in Jamshedpur fire - Mar 04, 2012
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- One killed, four injured in Vadodara chemical factory fire in Vadodara - Nov 22, 2010
- Fire in cracker godown engulfs commercial complex in Agra - Jun 20, 2009
- Fire in Punjab thread factory - Dec 21, 2010
- Spurned, man shoots himself in Jaipur girls' hostel - May 15, 2012
- Fire in Punjab chemical factory - May 22, 2011
Tags: accusation, belongings, blazes, border security force, exact cause, fire brigade, fire officials, fire tenders, godown, hostel, late arrival, maharana pratap, massive fire, outskirts, power transformers, power transmission, rupees, safety arrangements, security arrangements, watchman