Fire breaks out at Kolkata’s famous Presidency UniversityOctober 29th, 2010 - 10:50 am ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Oct. 29 (ANI): A major fire broke out early on Friday at the newly formed Presidency University, which is housed at the erstwhile Presidency College.
Eleven fire tenders were rushed to control the blaze in the chemistry department on the third floor of the Derozio building, university and college officials said.
They said there were no casualties as the institution was closed for holidays.
“The fire started at around 4 a.m. It is yet to be controlled. The reasons are not yet known. There is a cause for concern as chemicals are stored in the chemistry department,” the college’s acting principal, Amitabha Chattopadhyay said.
Founded in 1817 as Hindu College, the institution was christened Presidency College in 1855.
Earlier this year the West Bengal assembly passed a bill upgrading the 193 years old Presidency College into a university.
The college’s alumni include nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore, social reformer Swami Vivekananda, freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, filmmaker Satyajit Ray, Marxist legend Jyoti Basu, economist Amartya Sen and scientist Satyendranath Bose. (ANI)
- Fire breaks out at Presidency University in Kolkata - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Amita Chattopadhyay joins as first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Nov 01, 2010
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Amita Chattopadhyay first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Oct 06, 2010
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency University tagged innovation hub - Nov 29, 2011
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- Netaji's grand nephew to help revive Presidency - Jun 06, 2011
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- Bill upgrading Presidency College to university passed - Mar 19, 2010
- Presidency College all set to become university - Dec 02, 2009
Tags: blaze, casualties, chemicals, chemistry department, college officials, economist, filmmaker, fire tenders, freedom fighter, hindu college, nobel laureate, poet, presidency college, rabindranath tagore, satyajit ray, scientist, social reformer, subhas chandra bose, swami, west bengal