FIR against Vaiko for making pro-LTTE speechApril 10th, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr. 10 (ANI): An FIR has been lodged against MDMK leader Vaiko here for allegedly delivering inflammatory speeches in support of the LTTE.
This comes a day after he warned of a bloodbath in Tamil Nadu if LTTE chief Prabhakaran is harmed.
The Chennai Police has framed Vaiko under sedition and under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
Sedition is officially defined as an attempt to bring hatred or contempt, or exciting or attempting to excite, disaffection towards the Government.
Under section 124A of IPC, sedition is a non-bailable offence, which means the accused cannot be granted bail by the arresting authority.
Conviction under the UAPA can lead to imprisonment for five years or even a life sentence.
The FIR also accuses him of making a comment that could create fear or incite violence. (ANI)
- I am not afraid of being arrested, says Vaiko - Apr 10, 2009
- FIR against Vaiko for pro-LTTE speech - Apr 10, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Oct 29, 2010
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Repeal sedition laws: Activists - Jan 30, 2012
- Tribunal reserves order on Vaiko's plea against LTTE ban - Sep 24, 2010
- Warrants against five in 1981 plane hijacking - Aug 31, 2012
- India extends ban on LTTE for two more years - May 14, 2010
- Book Geelani, Arundhati, says Delhi court (Second Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Anna's cartoonist supporter sent to police custody - Sep 09, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Book Arundhati, Geelani for anti-India speeches: Delhi Court (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Release cartoonist Trivedi or face protest: Kejriwal - Sep 11, 2012
- Court accepts terror charges against Kobad Ghandy (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012