Film backs Afghan villagers” claim of carnage by US troopsSeptember 8th, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Sept.8 (ANI): The grainy video eight-minute footage, seen exclusively by The Times, has emerged as the most compelling evidence of a carnage perpetrated by American troops in Nawabad, Afghanistan, on August 21 this year.
The video has now prompted the Pentagon to reopen the investigation into the attack. An officer is being sent to Nawabad to review its previous inquiry.
Villagers and the UN insist that 92 were killed, including as many as 60 children. Locals say that the US and Afghan troops who came into the village looking for a Taleban commander, with US air support, used excessive force.
In the video, scores of bodies are seen laid out in a building that villagers say is used as a mosque; the people were killed apparently during a combined operation by US special forces and Afghan army commandos in western Afghanistan.
An Afghan doctor who arrived the next morning shot the film on a mobile phone.
Local people say that US forces bombed preparations for a memorial ceremony for a tribal leader. Residential compounds were levelled by US attack helicopters, armed drones and a cannon-armed C-130 Spectre gunship. However, US commanders and Pentagon officials have said repeatedly that seven civilians died alongside 35 Taleban militants during a legitimate combat operation, the target of which was a meeting of Taleban leaders.
The villagers accounts have been supported by separate investigations conducted by the UN, by Afghanistans leading human rights organisation and by an Afghan government delegation.
Two Afghan army officers involved in the operation have been dismissed.
The Pentagons original investigation concluded last week that US forces used close air support after coming under heavy fire during a mission to seize a Taleban commander named Mullah Sadiq. They allege that he died in the operation.
A Human Rights Watch report due to be published today is highly critical of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan for the number of civilians killed in air strikes.
It gives warning that repeated instances of Western forces killing Afghan civilians have led to a collapse in popular support for the international presence. (ANI)
- Kabul attack not to change US Afghan strategy: Pentagon - Nov 02, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- US military calls for more trust with Pakistan - Dec 27, 2011
- Gunman in Afghan killing acted alone: Pentagon - Mar 13, 2012
- Karzai condemns, US saddened over Afghan killings (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Top US official appalled by purported Marine video - Jan 13, 2012
- US vows full accountability in Afghan shooting (Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 11, 2012
- Afghan insurgents in weakened state, claim US, NATO forces - Nov 15, 2010
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- 13 US soldiers die in Kabul bombing - Oct 29, 2011
- Four U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Al Qaeda may return after Afghan pullout, British PM warned - Aug 05, 2012
- UK troops may spend five more years in Helmand - Jan 25, 2010
- 16 civilians killed in Afghanistan, ISAF says - Aug 06, 2010
- Shooting rampage: US soldier moved out of Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: army commandos, army officers, government delegation, human rights organisation, nato forces in afghanistan, pentagon officials, residential compounds, spectre gunship, target, western afghanistan