Filing of nominations gathers momentum across IndiaApril 19th, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
Rampur/New Delhi, Apr 19 (ANI): Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi filed his nomination papers as a candidate from the Rampur constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
“I am incapable of facing them (his opponents on the seat). I am contesting on the faith and strength of the people,” he said.
Meanwhile, nominees of the Congress party have entered the fray from two of the seven seats in New Delhi.
J P Agarwal, Congress party chief of Delhi state unit, submitted his nomination papers from North East Delhi constituency while Ramesh Kumar, brother of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, filed his nomination from the South Delhi constituency.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit hoped her party would do well at the hustings.
“The personality of Dr Manmohan Singh and the way he has worked. The way Sonia Gandhi ran the UPA and took people together to formulate pro-people policies. So we are confident that not only in Delhi, but the Congress party will win in whole of India,” said Dikshit, as she accompanied Agarwal to the poll office.
The Congress party had to withdraw names of its two nominees –Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar earlier over protests from the Sikh community on their alleged involvement in the 1984 Sikh riots.
Delhi is expected to witness a straight contest between the BJP and the Congress. (ANI)
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- VIPs vote in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 03, 2012
- UPA playing checkmate game on presidential choice: BJP - Jun 14, 2012
- 2,773 candidates in Tamil Nadu poll fray - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- Chhattisgarh assembly by-poll next month - Jan 12, 2011
- BJP stunned as Karnataka, Himachal, Jharkhand lawmakers cross-vote (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Tytler replaced by Aggarwal, Sajjan by his brother (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Cong, JMM and BJP in fray for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Ambika Soni, Mohsina elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha (Roundup) - Jun 11, 2010
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- 1,080 in fray for Punjab assembly polls - Jan 16, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Maharashtra opposition undecided on by-poll candidate - Apr 22, 2011
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 1984 sikh riots, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress leader, congress party, delhi state, dr manmohan singh, east delhi, hustings, jagdish tytler, manmohan singh, naqvi, nomination papers, rampur, sajjan kumar, sheila dikshit, sikh community, sonia gandhi, south delhi, straight contest